Faulty item out of warranty,options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like @wafter I think the staff are taught deny deny deny.
The first thing many of them do/say is.....oh, looks like extreme use or some such rubbish.
Years ago MrsD bought a pair of waterproof dress boots for winter. They were clearly advertised as waterproof. They leaked. She took them back. The assistant said "oh dear, you have worn these in the rain so the warranty is not valid". Yeah right. A more humble customer might have walked away without a full refund :rolleyes:.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Take it up with paypal and let them deal with halfords . That way you get your money back .

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I bought a faulty phone back to Argos. They replaced it without even looking inside the box. The sales assistant then said, "See you again."

I think some Argos employees must be running a scam. They get their mates to bring back 'faulty' goods. Their mates then get a refund and the 'faulty' goods end up on ebay.
Can't see how it would work. All returns are logged and labelled and go back to the main distribution centre (I used to work for them).

Argos do have a reputation for having a decent returns policy though... the amount of times people tried to bring stuff 'back' that hadn't even been purchased from Argos was ridiculous!

D

Deleted member 26715

Graham Barry Stapleton seems to be the best to name/ask for.
Head Office: +44 1527 517601
Email: customer.services@halfords.co.uk
Twitter ID: @Halfords_UK

All current directors seem to have come via DSG/Carphone Warehouse
This is the way to go, you could also send the contents of the email via recorded delivery as a back-up. If you eventually do decide to go via the MCOL (Money Claim Online) you have to prove that you gave the seller opportunity to put it right. You never know they may swap it out without hassle if they have had a significant amount of failures, their supplier will be picking up the tab.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've never understood the six year rule.
It comes from the Limitation Act 1980, or for Scotland it's a five year limit in the Prescription & Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 which sets out the maximum period by which an obligation can be enforced. It isn't limited to contracts on goods and includes things like claims for damages or for injuries, for example after a collision.

icowden

Veteran
I have a Drivo turbo trainer purchased from Halfords in December 2018 for £600, it failed with an electronics fault quite quickly and was replaced under warranty. After 15 months the replacement unit has failed with the same fault.
Its an expensive item and has only has light use, I would expect it to last longer than this.
Has anyone any experience of claiming repair or replacement from the retailer for an item out of warranty, quoting the Consumer Rights Act 2015 ( previously the Sale of Goods Act)?

FOund this:

http://forum.elite-it.com/viewtopic.php?t=1144

It suggests that for EU countries the warranty is 24 months. Have you contacted them about a warranty repair to see if it is covered?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I bought a faulty phone back to Argos. They replaced it without even looking inside the box. The sales assistant then said, "See you again."

I think some Argos employees must be running a scam. They get their mates to bring back 'faulty' goods. Their mates then get a refund and the 'faulty' goods end up on ebay.
If it is a scam, at least the customers also benefit from it. :okay:

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
FOund this:

http://forum.elite-it.com/viewtopic.php?t=1144

It suggests that for EU countries the warranty is 24 months. Have you contacted them about a warranty repair to see if it is covered?
Found this on Halfords page for the Drivo:

Allessandro Farronato the Elite Quality Control Manager gives the following assurance:

"We devote a long time to product verification and certification. In fact, no unit can leave our warehouse without a proper verification on its effective functioning having occurred. Our goal is excellence, and our confidence in that is such that we offer a 2 year warranty on our trainers, as well as intervene as soon as possible in case of issues."

Top Bottom