Faulty tyres or worn rims?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
I've just had my third Michelin Endurance Pro 4 tyre blow out on me in the past year. In all cases, the side of the tyre wall was worn away.

I've been running Michelins for a few years with very few problems until recently. Initially, I thought the tyres were to blame, but now I've started to wonder if my wheel rims are the cause.

Presumably, if the rims are worn, the brake pads will be edging close and closer to the tyre wall causing it to wear out? Has anyone else experienced that?

(I'm on Mavic Aksiums, which I've had for around 3 years at 4,000 km per year usage, as a commuter cyclist).

Sharky

Guru
I've been on aksiums for many years with out a problem.
Your comment about the brake pads edging closer to the tyre wall?
- can't the brake shoes be just moved a bit further down?

I've just had my third Michelin Endurance Pro 4 tyre blow out on me in the past year. In all cases, the side of the tyre wall was worn away.

I've been running Michelins for a few years with very few problems until recently. Initially, I thought the tyres were to blame, but now I've started to wonder if my wheel rims are the cause.

Presumably, if the rims are worn, the brake pads will be edging close and closer to the tyre wall causing it to wear out? Has anyone else experienced that?

(I'm on Mavic Aksiums, which I've had for around 3 years at 4,000 km per year usage, as a commuter cyclist).

Which brake callipers / pads are you using, and how wide are your tyres?

lpretro1

Assuming brake pads are fitted correctly then rim wear would not cause them to move closer to the tyre. The bit of the rim that wears is the flat braking surface

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
After taking a good look this weekend, I'm going to revise my view. Despite the obvious wear to the rims, I now do suspect that the brake pads/blocks were probably edging too close to the tyre wall which most likely caused the problem. Thanks for your comments.

Top Bottom