Faux CHPT3...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevedeer

Regular
I want a Brompton CHPT3, but they only build a few a year apparently. What’s your nearest Brompton online build to one of these lovely fold-ups!?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you can’t get near or don’t want to wait:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164288833638
Better get bidding.:smile:

berlinonaut

Veteran
As far as I know there's a CHPT3 model planned for 2020 as well which will probably hit the dealers some time in autumn (as did the CHPT3 in the years before). So if you want one I'd contact one or more dealers to ask if this is true and if it is possible to reserve one in advance with a dealer - as they are of limited amount they may sell out quickly, especially given the current market for Bromptons.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Blimey over £5k and it doesn't even have mudguards :rolleyes:

Mine does 😉

12boy

Guru
I would like TI forks and rear triangle, but fancy paint jobs aren't worth extra money to me. My base Brompton, bought as a fenderless 1 speed, and since modified over the years to have 2 chainrings, a 3 speed chain pusher hub, and also a177% SA hub, SPDS, Ergons, leather saddle, fenders etc, has provided me with tens of thousands of miles of riding pleasure. My favorite bike, actually, but to each their own.

OP
OP
stevedeer

stevedeer

Regular
Some people really know how to pimp their Bromptons. Love everything about this CHPT3 from somewhere in Asia. Looks at those wheels!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 35

berlinonaut

Veteran
Gotta have a Brooks saddle on my CHPT3!
The first (2018) model did have a red Brooks Cambium, the second (2019) model did have a saddle from another brand (maybe fabrik?) in a (in my eyes) strange slight camouflage-like design (that reminded me of mildew). 2018 you had the choice between 2-speed and 6-speed, 2019 (and probably 2020, too) only 6-speed was available. Mainframe was grey-red in 2018, in 2019 it was red front end with a kind of sprakling dark grey/blackish on the main frame. Personally I prefer the original, 2018 version, regarding the looks as well as the 2-speed. I was really tempted to buy one back then but did not as the S-stem is useless for me anyway plus I already have a very customized 2Lx model for several years (which is my most used Brompton), so absolutely no need for an additional one.

OP
OP
stevedeer

stevedeer

Regular
The first (2018) model did have a red Brooks Cambium, the second (2019) model did have a saddle from another brand (maybe fabrik?) in a (in my eyes) strange slight camouflage-like design (that reminded me of mildew). 2018 you had the choice between 2-speed and 6-speed, 2019 (and probably 2020, too) only 6-speed was available. Mainframe was grey-red in 2018, in 2019 it was red front end with a kind of sprakling dark grey/blackish on the main frame. Personally I prefer the original, 2018 version, regarding the looks as well as the 2-speed. I was really tempted to buy one back then but did not as the S-stem is useless for me anyway plus I already have a very customized 2Lx model for several years (which is my most used Brompton), so absolutely no need for an additional one.
why was the s stem useless for you?

berlinonaut

Veteran
why was the s stem useless for you?
It is too low for me. I typically do use a pre 2018 H-stem in combination with a post 2018-M/H-bar on my Bromptons. I did use an S-stem on my first Brompton many years ago and experimented with risers and bars of all kinds - in the end it did not work out regarding height. With the necessary height folding would no longer have been possible as the bars would have hit the ground. So after the H-model hit the market in 2012 I used H-stems with riser and S-bars for a couple of years until the new 2018-bars came out. Now I am using those on the older stem (so ending up roughly in the middle in between nominal M and H heights of a stock Brompton) and safe weight while winning on aesthetics in comparison to my former solution. So a very personal thing based on ergonomics, no general problem with the S-stem.

OP
OP
stevedeer

stevedeer

Regular
Hmmm, I'm 6", but with stumpy legs, worried about the s stem, but I always like a low riding position even tho it kills my back!

Top Bottom