Fav Rides and Ridiculous climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr browndog

Hope this works

Where : Middlesbrough UK
Ride : Clay bank to Carlton
How Far : 29.11 Miles
Biggest Climb : 300ft to 900ft in 1.9miles
Average time : 2 hours

this is a brilliant ride especially in the afternoon sunshine after work, if your a cyclist and live anywere near middlesbrough you will have tried this ride, the clay bank climb is a killer but the down hill after to carlton makes up for it clocking around 38mph, a long stretch to carlton cafe is welcomed with a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea, another ridiculous downhill which usually has my fingers welded to the brakes.
all in all an amazing ride with stunning countryside views.

ShinSplint

Hi Mr Browndog,

Done that route many times, great isn't it B)

If you want to discover more great routes in the area, here's a local forum I use, www.mtbe.co.uk . Myself and a fair few other members often get out on training rides in the area.

:ohmy:

lantern rouge

was out there today Mr Brown dog - great training ride and absolutely boiling!
Billingham,Yarm, Weary Bank, Rudby, Stokesley, Ingleby Greenhow, Clay Bank (side), Chop Gate, Carlton Bank, Sexhow , Rudby and back to Billingham - 53 miles - absolute paradise, the reason I bought a bike (or two!)

Coffees and cake at Howards in Stokesley and Lord Stones at the top of Carlton Bank essential refueling stops though!

jimboalee

Just back off holiday.

Did a AUK 100 Midmesh while away. Wadebridge, Perranporth, Bodmin, Rock and back to Wadebridge.

But, here's my fave morning out route which I HAVE to do whenever I visit Wadebridge.

Newquayroute.jpg

This is just one way, Wadebridge to Newquay. I have to ride back :biggrin:

jimboalee

BTW, Here's the route...

Newquayroutemap.jpg

Lovely scenery. Taking photo, eating Roskillies ice cream and holding bike for dear life all at the same time.

P1840_04-06-10.jpg

One word of advice. Wheel your bike round with you. Don't lock it up against anything, cus when you come back, a security company will have chained it up with their BIG lock and charge you £65 to release your bike.

P1921_04-06-10.jpg

OP
OP
M

mr browndog

lantern rouge said:
was out there today Mr Brown dog - great training ride and absolutely boiling!
Billingham,Yarm, Weary Bank, Rudby, Stokesley, Ingleby Greenhow, Clay Bank (side), Chop Gate, Carlton Bank, Sexhow , Rudby and back to Billingham - 53 miles - absolute paradise, the reason I bought a bike (or two!)

Coffees and cake at Howards in Stokesley and Lord Stones at the top of Carlton Bank essential refueling stops though!

Have you tried the route backwards ?!?!?
i did this over the weekend when it was blistering...... i nearly collapsed at the top of carlton bank.
was a nice easy run down the country lane to chop gate but i had forgot i had the climb back up the other side of clay bank :laugh:, excellent ride though.

jimboalee

mr browndog said:
i did this over the weekend when it was blistering...... i nearly collapsed at the top of carlton bank.
was a nice easy run down the country lane to chop gate but i had forgot i had the climb back up the other side of clay bank :laugh:, excellent ride though.

I tried my fave route backwards, but my cranks just went round with a clicking noise from the rear hub. ;);)

lantern rouge

mr browndog said:
was a nice easy run down the country lane to chop gate but i had forgot i had the climb back up the other side of clay bank :biggrin:, excellent ride though.

yeah, done it backwards :sad:

climbed Carlton Bank twice in May in prep for our Winnats Pass trip - it's a challenge but the view from the top is worth it.

You're right about the climb out of Bilsdale back to Clay Bank, not pleasant, especially with the motorcycles on the "Helmsley TT".

Sheepwash/Swainby and Boltby Bank are the next local challenges - haven't got the bottle for Chimney Bank yet!

LR

jimboalee

lantern rouge said:
yeah, done it backwards :ohmy:

climbed Carlton Bank twice in May in prep for our Winnats Pass trip - it's a challenge but the view from the top is worth it.

You're right about the climb out of Bilsdale back to Clay Bank, not pleasant, especially with the motorcycles on the "Helmsley TT".

Sheepwash/Swainby and Boltby Bank are the next local challenges - haven't got the bottle for Chimney Bank yet!

LR

Carlton Bank.

My 'after work training ride' is up Edge Hill in Warwickshire just south of where I work. It has a couple of 19% bits but most of it is at 16% to 18%.

There is a slow bendy way up and then a fast straight way down where my max speed got to 48.9 mph.
At the end of the descent, turn left for a mile or so and do the whole thing again.
Then its a 50 km ride home.

jimboalee

Returning from my Padstow - Newquay ride, I uploaded the history file.

Transfering to a MS spreadsheet, I have a macro which picks out my speed for gradients between -1% and 1%.

There weren't many data points.

jimboalee

lantern rouge said:
yeah, done it backwards :ohmy:

LR

Curiousity.

What gear length are you using.

I'm on 30 ring, 25 sprocket for the 19% bits.

lantern rouge

jimboalee said:
Curiousity.

What gear length are you using.

I'm on 30 ring, 25 sprocket for the 19% bits.

compact with 12-27 cassette.....mostly standing with 34/27!

Would possibly like to go 28/29 as my bail out gear but with an 11 for descents before I take on the likes of Chimney etc.

need advice though as I'm no expert - would a wide spread of sprockets cause chain length/shifting issues etc?

jimboalee

lantern rouge said:
compact with 12-27 cassette.....mostly standing with 34/27!

Would possibly like to go 28/29 as my bail out gear but with an 11 for descents before I take on the likes of Chimney etc.

need advice though as I'm no expert - would a wide spread of sprockets cause chain length/shifting issues etc?

The 12/27 gives you a closer group of gears with a lower top and higher bottom than an 11/28.
Changing to an 11/28 will give you a higher top and maybe a three inch lower basement gear. You might notice the larger steps at gearchanges.

BTW. A 'Granny' ring is a chainring that is smaller than would be expected. A 'megadrive' sprocket is a largest sprocket that is well bigger than would be expected if the cassette was a smooth tooth step progression.
When the rings and sprockets are in a well orderly smooth progression, eg 30/42/52 to 12 x 23 or 39/53 to 11 x 23; the lowest gear is called the "Basement" gear. A 'bailout' gear is a low gear that deviates from the smooth stepped progression. Not as severe as a 'Megadrive', but noticeable.

A 'Compact' chainset eg 50/34 is a single 50 tooth ring with a 'Granny' 34 ring bolted to it for those riders who can't manage ( not strong enough ) the normal 53/39 combination. [ That should get some flak :cheers: ]

Considering you will not be climbing these gradients on a regular basis?? ( if you are, they will get easier. Nope, that's a misnomer, YOU WILL GET STRONGER ) stick with the 34 Granny on your Compact and the 27 tooth largest on your cassette.

Ride up these hills every fortnight or so and after a couple of months you'll wonder why you thought about spending £20 on a cassette with ONE tooth more. :ohmy:

lantern rouge

jimboalee said:
A 'Compact' chainset eg 50/34 is a single 50 tooth ring with a 'Granny' 34 ring bolted to it for those riders who can't manage ( not strong enough ) the normal 53/39 combination. [ That should get some flak :biggrin: ]

Guilty as charged:biggrin:

Considering you will not be climbing these gradients on a regular basis?? ( if you are, they will get easier. Nope, that's a misnomer, YOU WILL GET STRONGER ) stick with the 34 Granny on your Compact and the 27 tooth largest on your cassette.

Ride up these hills every fortnight or so and after a couple of months you'll wonder why you thought about spending £20 on a cassette with ONE tooth more. :biggrin:

a twenty quid insurance policy -I'll take it!

OP
OP
M

mr browndog

lantern rouge,where is chimney bank?
is it local, wouldnt mind looking for it on google earth and try mapping out a route, i loe a good hill to try and get up especially when your heart is trying to thump out of your chest half way up

Top Bottom