Fav Rides and Ridiculous climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

Lots of talk of the Rosedale Chimney!

Some people say its THE hardest in the UK... myself and one or two others are having a go on Saturday :smile:

To put it in perspective, Park Rash of the Richmond 5 Dales sportive gets a 9/10 for difficulty in the "100 Greatest Cycling Climbs in the UK" book - last month this climb had my arms trembling, let alone my legs - the Chimney gets 10/10 :biggrin:

Something tells me I won't be smiling afterwards.

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
You are in good company, Zacklaws. I watched the Tour of Britain go up it a dozen years ago. Chris Boardman may have had breath for the cameras, but nearly half the peleton got off and walked: most pro tours don't have anything more than half as steep.

Worst position - rear-gunner cameraman, when the motard failed to hold his big BMW on the brakes on that corner and started sliding backwards. The look on his face!

They also walked Constitution Hill in Swansea.

Well done anyway.

BTW. Lombard St in San Fran goes to 25%. ONLY the tourists ( Foreign club riders on rental bikes, eg Yours truly ) ride up it. The locals ride ROUND it. They have more sense.

zacklaws

Guru
ShinSplint said:
Lots of talk of the Rosedale Chimney!

Some people say its THE hardest in the UK... myself and one or two others are having a go on Saturday ;)

All I can say is go for it, I was surprised how well I did and did feel that I had done harder hills in the past, but maybe they were just longer and less gradient but ground you down more, but I know I have never done a hill before that had the same or worse after effects that I suffered afterwards, perhaps some stretching when I hit the top or fast spinning for a while may have took the stiffness out of my legs.

My advise is, the only hard parts are between the two bends on the S bend and after that the steep sudden climb after, but it is not far and you can see the end of both stretch's. Also take care that your front end will lift off the ground after the first S bend, bend, so be careful if in the lowest gear as a sudden spurt may tip you over backwards. And also if in a group it may be better to set off at intervals between each other as I found my bike had a tendency to yaw left and right on its own due to the lightness at the front end and I had to go where it took me whilst sat pedalling, even once into the grass (in fact steering at one point was a case of lifting the front wheel off the ground and swing it to the side you wanted it and place it back on the ground to change direction), even tacking is a major problem as you move so slow and it is hard to make the turn at the end of each tack.

And don't be humiliated by the sheep laid grazing watching you, they have probably had a few good laughs at cyclists in the past, perhaps if you are doing well, they may just walk out in front of you just to break your rythmn and make you fall off.

Anyway good luck with it, looking forward to hearing how you did.

ShinSplint

Cheers for that Zacklaws. Your desciptions remind me exactly of Park Rash, even down to the humiliating sheep ;)

I'm actually quite looking forward to it, in a strange sort of way :smile: :biggrin:

ShinSplint

Hi all,

Well we tackled a fair few climbs on Saturday, in total well over 6000 ft of climbing, all over the North Yorkshire moors.

Set off from Gt Ayton and steadily made our way to Kildale (we had to save our enegry for what was in store!), then we had to turn straight back to Gt Ayton as my mate's cleat came loose and neither of us had a tool :smile:

Anyway, on to our 2nd attempt. Through Kildale and carried on to Commondale where there's 2 big climbs, a good warm up. Turned right at the top of the moor to Castleton. Left to Danby, on to Lealholm, and eventually came to a very hard climb called Delves Bank. Some very steep sections which had to be taken slowly.

Egton Bridge was our next beast. 33%, and very long to the top. It levels towards the top but there's still a gradual incline which goes on and on over the moor.

A while later we could see Rosedale Chimney in the distance, where my mate Harry talked me through the climb, so I knew what to expect, and come up with a strategy.

Its a relatively easy climb out of the village to the cattle grid, and then a sharp steep right, followed by an even steeper left :rolleyes: apparently on the inside its actually 39%, so we swung out to the right and made it easier for ourselves. The sever incline carries on for sometime, and eventually eases up to the car park. JOB DONE !

A great experience and sense of achievement reaching the top!

It was hard indeed, but I found Park Rash harder... but then that was after 75 miles hard effort in the Richmond 5 dales.!

Following this we made our way to Helmsley via Hutton le Hole and Farndale (another killer climb here).

Sarny and coffee in Helmsley, and back on it ! The long drag from Helmsley (towards Newgate bank) was a real chore, considering we were still full of food :biggrin: but slowly made our way to Chop Gate, where we turned right for another long climb all the way to the top of Carlton Bank, a route we are very familiar with.

Back to Great Ayton via Carlton, Busby, Gt Ayton and Easby.

An immensely enjoyable day in superb weather :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
Well done on those climbs, I tried Egton Bridge last year, but had to walk most of it as I was on a double, but I went back about two months ago and got up with no problems this time.

The hardest part I found with Rosedale came about two days later when I went to climb a steep hill and my Quads hurt like hell, then came the third day and I could hardly touch them they were that sensitive.

ShinSplint

Thanks Zacklaws,

Climbs like these certainly do take it out of your legs.

We were on doubles (50 x 34), not sure what my largest sprocket is, 25 or 26.

We tend to do a lot of tough climbs in the area regularly, so were about as prepared as you can be for the Chimney.

Difficulty aside, they were THE nicest cycling roads i've experienced bar none. Amazing scenery.

Chrisc

Guru
Did Holme Moss with a mate yesterday, not too steep but long and very windy. Fantastic sense of achievement now its done and every time I ride up Emley moor and look over at the moss I'll smile now!

zacklaws

Guru
ShinSplint said:
We were on doubles (50 x 34), not sure what my largest sprocket is, 25 or 26.

I think you will find that, that combination is classed as a compact, my double was a 53/39, with a 26 my largest at the back.

Matthames

Über Member
I like riding the Firehills near me, it has some of the craziest climbs in the South East. The highest point though is about 160m, but there is a section that climbs 130m in about a mile. Just looking at the OS map it is absolutely littered with chevrons, mainly single ones, but there is one double chevron which is marked as 25%, however it is only a 42m climb.

ShinSplint

I think you will find that, that combination is classed as a compact, my double was a 53/39, with a 26 my largest at the back.

I know it is. the 50/34 is a compact double, the 53/39 is a standard double.

I don't understand your point ?

Top Bottom