Favorite Brompton Tips, Tricks, Accessories, and Mods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I picked mine up from the shop, no box.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I picked mine up from the shop, no box.
Right. I'd personally get busy with a shedload of bubblewrap, cardboard, maybe some Coroplast / camping mat / plywood or something and a roll of gaffertape.
I mean, they're pretty strong and crushproof, but it'll only take ten minutes to cocoon the bagged bike.

Brains

Legendary Member

I spent ages trying to find a front light, stupidly eventually bought the Brompton one, which is not nearly as good as this !
(Off to buy one now. Thanks for the tip! )

upload_2017-2-11_13-32-29.png

Handlebar Moustache

Totally recommend new handlebar grips if these haven’t been mentioned before - my Domino (for that is the Brompton’s name) now has Ergon GP2s which are absolutely fab (and originally recommended by Fab Foodie of this parish).

Tenkaykev

Guru
With regard to the IKEA Dympa bag, perhaps an old yoga mat cut to size and some double sided tape would improve the protection and not add too much weight?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Stubby bar ends on an S-type.

Firm suspension block with a jubilee clip round it too.

SPDs.

Bottle bosses (use Elite strap-on ones on the back of the "stem").

On older ones with the swaged chainring, fit proper cranks with a bolted chainring. A folding pedal will not go up and over the end of most cranks so you may need to stick to Brompton's own left crank.

Closer-ratio 3 speed gears. Screw an AM mechanism into the SRF3 shell.

Better grips.

Better saddle.

Rebuild the wheels, which are usually undertensioned and not very round.

Buy the seat height limiter unless you are lucky enough to get the correct seat height just by pulling the post right up.

Eazy Wheels or skate wheels. The stock wheels will flay your calves if you have well-developed calf muscles.

Avoid:

Taiwanese titanium seatposts. Light but alarmingly flexy.

mitchibob

Über Member
Taiwanese titanium seatposts. Light but alarmingly flexy.

I've not noticed any particular flex in mine. The only thing that lets it down is that it isn't flanged at the end, so you can remove completely without issue, so for someone that locks their bike outside, they'd need to lock the saddle with the bike, or just remove and take with them all the time.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've not noticed any particular flex in mine. The only thing that lets it down is that it isn't flanged at the end, so you can remove completely without issue, so for someone that locks their bike outside, they'd need to lock the saddle with the bike, or just remove and take with them all the time.
What brand (if any) is yours? Mine was a "J&L" - very nicely made, much nicer than the Brompton Ti post, but not really thick enough.

Kell

Veteran
Firm suspension block with a jubilee clip round it too.

This doesn't really qualify as a hack in the way that jubilee clip does, but I went one stage further and got the Joseph Kuosac rear block.

All but eliminated any pedal bounce/bob.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxeEln3X2qs

Been running that for 2 1/2 years now and it's one of the best upgrades I made. I tried the jubilee clip first too.

mitchibob

Über Member
This doesn't really qualify as a hack in the way that jubilee clip does, but I went one stage further and got the Joseph Kuosac rear block.

Been running that for 2 1/2 years now and it's one of the best upgrades I made. I tried the jubilee clip first too.

I can totally vouch for this super-cheap upgrade!

Top Bottom