Favorite Brompton Tips, Tricks, Accessories, and Mods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am thinking about just winding such a spring on my own out of wire, but have not put myself down to it. Also, the issue that I have not solved in my mind is of the middle junction between the helices wound in the two directions.
Would two springs, one inside the other, do the same job. Wound opposite ways. Overall diameter might be more than would comfortably fit.

Schwinnsta

On further thought, I am not that the design of the spring matters. Without some kind of restraint the clamp will turn once its passed the steel ramps. For what its worth, McMaster.com sells wave type springs for reasonable prices. I would not think there would be any rotation with those. Still the friction the turning handle would cause clamp rotation when the clamp passes the frame.

u_i

Über Member
Would two springs, one inside the other, do the same job. Wound opposite ways. Overall diameter might be more than would comfortably fit.

With what you propose the springs would need to swell when compressed, more than they do normally. Maybe it would work nonetheless.

On further thought, I am not that the design of the spring matters. Without some kind of restraint the clamp will turn once its passed the steel ramps. For what its worth, McMaster.com sells wave type springs for reasonable prices. I would not think there would be any rotation with those. Still the friction the turning handle would cause clamp rotation when the clamp passes the frame.

Indeed, the strength of a helical spring might be insufficient for keeping the alignment. As a matter of experiment, though, I ordered the wire for the spring. Hopefully, I will be able to report in a week or so.

u_i

Über Member
Is there not a danger of over engineering a solution to a minor problem?

Minor improvements for actions that you carry out repeatedly are sometimes worth pursuing. Myself I would not mind experience in making springs. Engineering problems that are within reach are fun and it may be a flop in the end - who cares ^_^ - always some learning there.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They can get twisted if there is too much friction between the handle and the actual clamp plate. Make sure there is a drop of oil on the washer that separates the two.

straas

Matt
How does everyone carry their brompton? I've been carrying it by the seat but not sure if this puts too much strain on the frame?

Also - how do you stop the front wheel fouling the ground when on the castors?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've been mostly working on colour coordination....

1627396862158.jpeg

roley poley

Über Member
How does everyone carry their brompton? I've been carrying it by the seat but not sure if this puts too much strain on the frame?

Also - how do you stop the front wheel fouling the ground when on the castors?
I have the old T3 with a rear rack and use eezy wheels giving more ground clearance as I wheel it to my fitting at work..no strain will be put on anything if you lift it about with the saddle over your shoulder as I do over short distances when I can't be bothered to fold it up:okay:

Top Bottom