Favorite Crazyguyonabike Journals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisBailey

Uncle Phil said:
I like to take a look at my own on dull days - it never fails to get me thinking about the next time.

Cathryn said:
I enjoy all the CC people's journals too, feels a bit more personal, doesn't it.

I too read my own and also find it easier to visualise CC people when they post on CC having seen them on CGOAB.

I joined CGOAB quite a long time ago and then the best read (not mentioned here) was Heidi Domaison's a very good writer and a true eccentric, on her second ride she prepared by having a Mohican haircut on the grounds it would make her look crazier and thus someone to be avoided. Brilliant reads.

Ryan Conaughty rode across the United States in 2008. I had read several Trans Am and Trans Canada journals before but this one really stands head and shoulders above the rest. Not only is he an accomplished writer and photographer but he delves into the personal psychology of such a mammoth undertaking. I found his account deeply involving.

Mike Riscica road a similar route in 2005. His story is more direct, less introspective.

Although I found Ryan's story better on several levels, Mike's is remarkable for the way in which you watch his growth. He strengthens emotionally, intellectually and physically.

Tom Hornyak wrote a heart-felt and unique account of his East West crossing of the States in 2008. He is a teenage lad with minimal equipment, almost all of it broken or defective. At first I shook my head in disbelief as he set off on a wing and a prayer with no route or plan. He is another one who grew into his ride as time passed. Eventually he became an accomplished rider and highly inventive as he strove to surmount the many problems he encountered.

There are many more inspirational Trans-American journals but the 3 above caught me and held me. I read each in one sitting.

I think the thing that impresses me most about Ann is her mental toughness - she has had a few setbacks but seems to take the good and the bad with equimanity

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Tony said:
This is the journal I am following at the moment:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=5465&v=Ow

The changes in Ann's physique as she has travelled are eye-opening.
Like others here, I look back at my own journals, but I find I get a tad depressed, especially sitting in Surrey and looking at shots of Sweden or Australia.
Damn it....

Don't be depressed, be proud of what you have achieved, and that your feats are an inspiration to others (like me)

Tony

The only thing my "feats" prove is that a fat old man can do it, and thus so can anyone else.

Tony

psmiffy said:
I think the thing that impresses me most about Ann is her mental toughness - she has had a few setbacks but seems to take the good and the bad with equimanity

Including having her bike nicked!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Tony said:
The only thing my "feats" prove is that a fat old man can do it, and thus so can anyone else.

That makes it such a shame IMO that more people don't just get on with doing something like that, and instead chose to sit on their 'arris watching telly.

Crankarm

Guru
Anthony said:
Has anyone read the journal called Ben Voyage? I have been viewing this in the last few days and found it to be a great read with fabulous photos.

Yes! He's one of a few on my favourites list :thumbsup:.

I like Bike About by Keith Hallagan. His latest post shows the destructive madness of sectarianism in Lahore. He doesn't post so much now maybe beacuse uploading is difficult or because finding the time to continually write and upload pics everyday is time consuming.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=143424&v=i

For all those who have created journals on CGCOAB they are owed a huge debt of thanks for all the great stories they have told and pics they have posted. They have kept us stay at home cycle tourists entertained and provide a valuable source of information from different cultures.

Tony

ComedyPilot said:
That makes it such a shame IMO that more people don't just get on with doing something like that, and instead chose to sit on their 'arris watching telly.
Exactly!!!!
I had a friend say "I wish I could do that..."
The reply is: you can. The Nike advert slogan says it all. Just do it.

mike1026

In all the above there is one person we have not mentioned yet; that is Neil Gunton. He works very hard, and is always ready to help with queries. CGOAB is a fantastic achievement, Neil must be very proud of his creation. Don't forget that we can all support him by helping towards the costs, it is easy to donate through PAYPAL see http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/website/sponsors/donate/ for more info.

Top Bottom