Favorite temperature for riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
High teens to (very) early twenties for me.
I love the heat for short rides (below 20 miles), but struggle over long distances. I always seem to struggle with getting my hydration right, sweat running into my eyes and crusty face from salt loss is not good.
The last two years where I have ridden(?) the Dartmoor Classic it has ended up being hotter than Satan's knackers and made for a hard day.

On the flip side, I was on my weekly big ride on Thursday and feeling the heat (about 25), so had my jersey unzipped down to my chest. Went past a queue of traffic and got cheered by a car load of women :smile:
Guess they liked my t**s!

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm happy in hot and dry (even over 30C, >35C gets difficult to keep hydrated but I don't mind the temperature per se) or cold and dry (preferably -5C and sunny) but I do hate this warm, humid weather at the end of summer when the birds have gone to wherever for the winter so the flies really get going of an evening. I went out for an hour or so at 6pm yesterday and came back covered in small black flies stuck to the copious sweat - and naturally a large number of bites round the jersey neck and the back of the knees. I hate it :angry: nearly as much as endless days of 12-15C and grey clouds with drizzle which also gives an effective humidity so high than no fabric can cope. This was the weather that drove me to take up fell-running again. You can fell-run in basically any conditions but it's really quite enjoyable when it's raining and you know you're not going to have to clean the bike when you get home :biggrin: I guess another thing is with running, your work rate is much more even - no coasting down long descents to chill you - so getting the clothing right is much easier too.

C

chillyuk

For me I'd say about 15 degrees. I did a 25 miler yesterday in 27 degrees and the most annoying thing was the sweat running into my eyes on the climbs. Normally that doesn't happen.

Try a smear of vasaline across your eye brows. We used to do it running to stop sweat getting into the eyes.

C

chillyuk

I love the heat. The hotter it is the better I like it. I did a 35 miler this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

lulubel

Über Member
About 20C is comfortable for me. Don't have too wear much, and don't get too hot or too cold. I try to avoid going out if it's over 30C, and below 10C means too many clothes for me (although we don't get much of that here).

The worst is definitely high humidity, though. There's a long, very gentle descent that I usually really enjoy here, and the last time it was very humid, I was riding down it at an easy 25mph with sweat dripping off my elbows because it wouldn't evaporate.

byegad

Legendary Member
For me 10 to 15C is about perfect, not cold enough to need full gloves I can wear layers and be perfectly fine up hill and down dale.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think it reached my perfect temperature at around 8pm last night in London: the light evening breeze had died down, it wasn't humid, and the temp. must have been maybe 22-23 degrees. It's around that kind of temperature where the engine stays nicely warmed up and there's no hint of overheating when I put a bit of effort in. I'll ride all year round but I really suffer when it gets cold.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I love the sunshine. It makes me want to jump on the bike and ride and ride
thumbsup.png

The more sun the better. Yes it can be a hassle taking enough liquid and planning water stops but it's still my favourite

gavintc

Guru
I like it warm and will not be content when I return to edinburgh next summer. 25C is nice, 30C is a tad too hot if it is humid.

zigzag

Veteran
for long distances 20-25 degrees, for shorter and more intensive 16-20, for commuting - around 12-15. drop under the tip of my nose forms at 16 degrees and below - good indicator about temperature :biggrin:

Top Bottom