Favorite temperature for riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

I do most of my riding from autumn through to spring. Also of course during summer but if it's really warm I try and go out very early.

Orange

Hotter the better. Rode Sardinia last year, 29-32 degrees C - perfect.

doogle84

Today was perfect. About 9 degrees this morning for the commute in so not too hot and bothered, and 12 or so on the way back
wub.gif

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't mind the heat as you are creating your own breeze as you ride. What does bother me is the sunburn. I burn pretty easily and forget to protect my neck and my big ears. The cold is fine too but I'm always wary of ice. Running is fine any weather but in warm rain it's fantastic.

Willo

20c +, nothing beats getting out nice and early on a warm summers day.

martint235

Dog on a bike
10 - 15 degrees if I'm on my own and setting my own pace, shorts, SS top and mitts.

For something like a FNRttC where I may need to wait around then 15 - 20.

I don't mind riding in heat (and as Topcat said, get a nice tan!!) but if I'm commuting or training I melt at around >20 and end up burning through water.

As someone said it's funny seeing what people wear though. On my commute I'm already seeing people in Night Vision Evo jackets, I have one of those for when it gets cold.

Keith Oates

Janner
Living and working in hot countries most of the time I cycle very often when the temperature is well over 30 Deg C and rarely below 25 Deg C and don't find it a bother. Of course drinks are required but that is easy enough with a drinks bottle.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

david k

Hi
Personally, I find it intolerable, have to take gallons of water, and sweat buckets when it gets to about the 22 degree mark.

I love it when it's about 16 degrees - nice and fresh and I don't dehydrate. I can ride all day at that temperature in shorts and t-shirt.

I am absolutely astonished when it's a baking hot day (well into the 20's) and I see a roady powering along wearing a long-sleeve jersey almost completely zipped up over a t-shirt!!! How can you possibly ride like that without dying of heatstroke?!!!

i like it middle of summer, really bright and hot but set out at 5am so not too hot, love it

A wide range for me: 18 - 30c is fine, the hotter, the better.

I like to dress knowing that I won't need to add/remove unnecessary items during the ride.

Early last year I was cycling in high 30s/low 40s and that was very uncomfortable: it's like (how I imagine) cycling in a blast furnace would be - burning nostrils and throat, but not excessive sweating due to the dry heat.

Wades

I Used to love cold and wet on the MTB... not so sure on the roadie already had a couple of iffy slippy moments.

Low teens and dry probably the best for me though.

Lovin' the vaseline tip a page or so back!

Top Bottom