Favourite childhood books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
My daughter - aged 11 - is a huge Enid Blyton fan. She must have read at least 75 of her books. My 13 year old daughter is big into Skullduggery Pleasant, something I just don't get at all....

hoopdriver

Guru
Actually I did choose the name because it was ambiguous. Shakespeare... As You Like It... real name is...
It's also Jupiter's seventh moon and one of the most interesting in the solar system...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Was that when you got a bollocking?
Spot on 3BM!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Biggles. I loved the racist world-saving, heroic, fascist *******

I remember reading Agatha Christies "Ten Little N*****s" as a boy and not blinking an eye-lid! Still have a copy of the book, I believe. Title later changed to "Ten Little Indians." On reflection, that seems hardly less racist! :eek:

Another :eek: moment recently. Re-read "The Return Of The Native" by Thomas Hardy. Part of an omnibus Hardy I bought in the 1970's.

In one scene (I paraphrase), Hardy says something like:

"The figure merged into the darkness of Egdon Hearth like a fly on a n****r!

40 years ago it seems this made it past the edit. :wacko:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I remember reading Agatha Christies "Ten Little N*****s" as a boy and not blinking an eye-lid! Still have a copy of the book, I believe. Title later changed to "Ten Little Indians." On reflection, that seems hardly less racist! :eek:

Another :eek: moment recently. Re-read "The Return Of The Native" by Thomas Hardy. Part of an omnibus Hardy I bought in the 1970's.

In one scene (I paraphrase), Hardy says something like:

"The figure merged into the darkness of Egdon Hearth like a fly on a n****r!

40 years ago it seems this made it past the edit. :wacko:
I recently read an Ed McBain where the cop says something like, " It was a week of minor crimes, jewel robbery, bar brawl and wife beating"!

swansonj

Guru
The thing about Johns' racism as displayed in Biggles is that it is insidiously manifest in a set of assumptions rather than explicit actions. I'm not sure that Biggles ever uses racially offensive language directly to another person (unless the various terms for Germans used during the wars are regarded as offensive). But the starting assumption about every single person is defined by their racial and/or national origins. Black people are stupid, lazy and needing leading; orientals probably clever but potentially duplicitous; Americans naive; French and other Mediterraneans emotional and ineffective; Scots hard working but destined for subordinate positions; Germans sufficiently like English to be quite decent chaps if they hadn't had the misfortune to end up on the wrong side; etc; and "half-breed", a pretty offensive term in itself, is a lazy indication by Johns of someone who should never be trusted because their mixed background prevents them being true to any one thing, innit. There are plenty of examples (well, some, anyway) of Johns allowing his characters to overcome the handicap of their origin and being treated surprisingly positively by him (Biggles' own chosen successor in the unfinished final book is technically a "half breed"), so when he put his mind to it, he could overcome his racism; but the universal, unthinking (and offensive) assumption is what becomes wearing after a while.

Top Bottom