Favourite Children's Books as New Children's Laureate Announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Children's books up until I was about 13:

Tintin books by Hergé
The Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge
The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sounds like she has some good ideas for her tenure - I really enjoyed Chris Riddell's stint as laureate.

Childhood books is a big question - Mum and Dad had loads of books, and let us (within reason) roam pretty freely through them - we used the local library a lot too, and I left the children's section for stuff by Ed McBain, Alastair Maclean &c fairly early. I still like McBain, and hardboiled crime fiction in general - going back to the 87th Precinct series, as I do from time to time, feels like greeting old friends. I can also remember really liking Raymond Chandler's Marlowe stories, although I regret not discovering Dashiell Hammett until later in life.

The first book I remember staying up late to finish was "Odd and the Great Bear", by James Roose-Evans. I remember very little about it now, but it absolutely gripped me, and I suffered for not being able to stop reading it until the small hours on the next day. I still love that feeling of wanting to spend every spare moment reading that some books give you.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

You are such a wrong 'un @User13710. And it explains so much!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I read many of the "Biggles" books when I were a youngster.

"Biggles Flies Undone" always gets a giggle from me (I'm a sad old git I know....)

Wonder how Biggles would get on flying the Typhoon?
Biggles could fly anything!

Me:
Biggles
Swallows and Amazons (and all the follow on ones)
Heinlein - his kids ones, when I was younger, some of his 'adult' ones not so good
Anything and everything from the library. Started borrowing SF stuff from the adult library when I was about 12.
Probably lots more, but can't recall off the top of my head!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Blimey, I read Jennings too. Also loads of Harry Harrison, Stainless Steel Rat mainly. I also remember reading "The Prince in Waiting" trilogy, written by the chap who wrote The Tripods.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The Children of Green Knowe.
The BBC made a dodgy 1980's adaptation which was no where near as good as the book.

Top Bottom