Favourite Children's Books as New Children's Laureate Announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Early stuff
Enid Blyton Famous 5 and the finder outers.
Roald Dahl, BFG in particular
Peter pan
Later stuff
Sword of Shannara
Lord of the rings

Tim Hall

It was the Christmas after my 12th birthday. It's a rollocking good read I'd recommend to any child - an adventure story with gods and monsters, love and revenge and good jokes. I did also devour Rosemary Sutcliffe - Eagle of the Ninth and others, and retellings of the myths of Greece, Rome and Norway.

One more favourite from much earlier in my life - the Uncle books by JP Martin (I had to look him up), illustrated by Quentin Blake (I didn't have to look him up). I thought there were only four in the series, but apparently I've missed two. It's the saga of a rich, patrician, paternalistic elephant lording it over the lower classes, beating the ugly riff-raff from the nearby town.

With all of that lot, it's a wonder I haven't turned out like Jacob Rees-Mogg.
Uncle was fab. There was a character who lived on a boat on an underground oil lake, who smoked cigars and flicked his matches over board.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 4833991, member: 259"]I managed to read all the books in the Narnia series without realising that they were about Christianity, which is akin to reading all the Biggles books and not realising they were about a bunch of pilots.[/QUOTE]

Oh I dunno, I was a kid when I read Narnia stuff and I had no idea about that either. I knew Biggles was a pilot though and I never ever read them.

Effyb4

Veteran
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings
The Magic Faraway Tree
Famous Five books and the like

My favourite early books were The Muddle Headed Wombat books by Ruth Park.
Later, The Famous Five and Moonfleet.
Also used to read lots of books in the children's section of the library about the war, I assume they were children's editions of the adult books, Two I remember particularly were Carve Her Name with Pride, and one about David Stirling's creation of the SAS, can't remember the name just now.

Sandra6

Veteran
Winnie the Pooh and Tales of little grey rabbit as a younger child.
Then I loved Enid Blyton, especially the magic faraway tree.
I also read Famous Five but wasn't as keen on that.
I moved on to What Katy Did and Little women as an older child.
All time fave small child book has to be We're going on a bear hunt, and ofcourse The hungry caterpillar.
Mine have also enjoyed The chronicles of Narnia.
If I'm honest I'm not a fan of the new children's authors, like JK Rowling and Jacqueline Wilson - who is actually banned from our bookshelves she gives me that much rage.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Hobbit
Watership Down
They made me the man I am today.

Also liked Dragonfall 5, Asterix, TinTin, Enid Blyton's Famous Five :blush: and Willard Price's Hal and Roger adventure books.

Didn't like Wind and the Willows much, although that would have pleased my father.

Sandra6

Veteran
Asterix and Obelix!! Loved those.
And I totally forgot about Oor Wullie and The Broons every Christmas.

Tim Hall

My favourite early books were The Muddle Headed Wombat books by Ruth Park.
Later, The Famous Five and Moonfleet.
Also used to read lots of books in the children's section of the library about the war, I assume they were children's editions of the adult books, Two I remember particularly were Carve Her Name with Pride, and one about David Stirling's creation of the SAS, can't remember the name just now.
Was it "The Phantom Major" ?

Top Bottom