Favourite classical music...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Agree - as long as you don't think that's the only way or (necessarily) the right way.

But you've just castigated me for liking John Dowland played by Julian Bream... even though Bream was playing the lute not the guitar... I feel so... judged... *sob*....

It makes me want to indulge in one-up-manship but I ain't gonna, in spite of my long and extensive classical* habit!

(or should I say early/baroque/classical/romantic/modern/post-modern habits, before I get slammed for that too!)

andyfraser

Über Member
Yes, but it also had a jazz double-bassist and a percussion section. If it wasn't Jacques Loussier it was someone doing a very good impression of him.

Agree - as long as you don't think that's the only way or (necessarily) the right way. For instance, in the runup to 6:30 this morning Radio 3 played a performance of one of the Bach Partitas for keyboard on piano, and the pianist approached it as if it was by Debussy. Which rather devalues Bach, in my opinion. Listen to that and then someone expert (Trevor Pinnock) playing the same music on the harpsichord and you begin to understand (a) why Bach is the greatest composer of all time, and (b) why by playing him on the piano you do him an injustice.
I agree in principle but I don't think we'll ever agree 100%. I'm a big fan of neo-classical heavy metal guitarists. They use Bach (among others) as an inspiration for their own pieces but have also played some of Bach's works because they work so well in the neo-classical metal style. A lot of people hate this style of music. Some people pay large sums for recordings of classical pieces conducted by a particular conductor. I own some CDs that HMV put out on their own label for £5.99 each and am happy with those versions. We're all different. There's the proper way but there's no absolute right or wrong way.

Herbie

Veteran
...for reading

Not seen a classical music thread anywhere, so thought I'd see if I could kick one off, which is hugely motivated by my reading habits, as I like to drown everything out with best of classical mixes on You Tube (love a bit of philosophy, quantum physics, psychology, biology and theology...and it's enough to make my head spin).

I've generally been clicking on whatever comes up as recommended and, though I've come to love a lot of it, I generally find piano pieces to be the most soothing for a read. My favorites to get my braincells ticking in what appears to be the right order are Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Satie, Chopin or Gershwin.

Any suggestions to help get the juices flowing? Any suggestions for anything else are welcome as well, I guess...[/QUOTE

Nimrod by Elgar I've always liked

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Bach: six french suites played by Joanna Macgregor. I often read to this wonderful collection and I find her interpretation so soothing. I suffer from migraine headaches and find this particular album a great help to listen to at a soft volume...She played at Bath Classical Musical Festival some 3 years ago and unfortunately I missed but I am sure she is wonderful live.

That really is quite lovely - heavening up right now :smile: Going to be a slow trawl through all of these, I think - wonderful :smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That said, I have always liked this, even if it is football!:

View: http://youtu.be/BgomX3qD-iA

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I also happen to like the Aliens theme, especially the theme with those high strings (0.58 onwards in the first video), but they didn't really use it througout the film like they could have.
Ok, so not old, but, does it matter??

Just a couple of them here, but there others. I just love the sheer futility and desolation of it all:

View: http://youtu.be/9-jGrL7U09Y

View: http://youtu.be/Xo9lUPeAAJs

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
here's a couple of carefully selected top recommendations from my modest collection - which is now something like 3 months of continuous music - CD review each saturday morning on radio 3 is usually a expensive listen

Absolute favourites: Schubert's 9th, Stravinsky Rite of Spring, Bach St John's passion, though hundreds of other contenders

Schubert 9th - 60 mines of utter perfection. There are some dud versions, my favourite is Boult Royal Phil live - the best of my 6 or 7 versions of my favourite symphony - and the reason I took up the French horn (amateur of marginal talent re-starting after 30 year gap). Schubert should swing - not all versions do - and "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" as a later musician put it.

Bach - St John's Passion - 3 CDs worth of perhaps the finest music ever written. John Elliot Gardner box set of this and the St Mathew and much else is a strong recommendation.

Stravinsky rite of spring - definitely a piece that like Beethoven's 3rd changed music for ever - I've got lots of good versions: Bernstein, Markevitch, or Stravinsky himself

More widely:

At the risk of heresy I've not got a great love of Mozart - other than the requiem, but as a horn player got to give a plug to Tony Halstead's version of the horn concertos which is a bit special. Magic Flute is great live though.

Beethoven - for anyone's top 10 symphonies list, Beethoven would have several slots: 3rd and 9th changed the language of music, and the 7th is a perfect masterpiece.

Rather neglected Mendleson is perhaps next. All his considerable output is fabulous stuff - astonishingly so for stuff he wrote as a teenager.

I'm not so fussed by late romantic music, though Mahler (5th &7th), and some Richard Strauss would be worth exploring. (Don Juan, Till Eulenspiegel, also Sprach Zarathustra, and both horn concertos)

then you get the start of "modern" music - Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, and perhaps Debussy, Poulenc, shostakovitch (check out 5th, 10th particularly) who take a different direction to lush romanticism.

Then stravinsky - the most important 20th century composer perhaps?

Perhaps not.for everyone but I do find myself listening to some real "modern" music, Schoenberg Pierre Lunaire (either / both of Jane Manning's version). lots to explore - but more an intellectual pursuit than a sing-along.

And now Phillip.Glass and John Adams writing accessible, melodic, operas on important themes.

Very very Early music - Kassia & Hildegard of Bignen - some of the earliest ever written music. And still being played 12 later centuries for Kassia !

Somewhat early music - anything recorded by the Tallis Scholars -probably the best singers on the planet. So much to choose from Byrd, Tallis, Pallastrina and Josquin's Missa Pangua Lingua a particular favourite.
Pretty much Anything with Emma Kirkby in it is another good bet for early music.

I could go on... and on..

Last edited:
Top Bottom