Favourite classical music...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Now, I know this wasn't meant to have this connotation, but after it was used as the theme music to 'The Nazis: A warning From History', that is what I think of when I hear this - It just exudes evil, even at the cheery bits as you know that the 'haves' were living in a make believe world whilst the 'have nots' were living in hell.

I seem to have great difficulty in finding a version of this where the sound quality is really good, especially when it comes to the voices and that hard edged sound they make at times, such as at 3.00 - The recording I have, it is like an ICY BLAST, making it even more sinister, but, on the ones I see on Youtube, including this version, they don't do that, short of you turning the volume right up, so the effect is lost. I will post this anyway:

View: http://youtu.be/l6zpVsGbvNo

Last edited:

rvw

Guru
Only "I have quite a few of their CDs". You disappoint me. I was hoping at least for a "Caroline Trevor is one of my best friends" or an "I had that Christopher Page in the back of my cab once." or a "I once rogered Covey-Crump in a dark back alley"
Am I allowed "I've played Balinese gamelan with Rogers Covey-Crump's daughter"?

Much to agree with in Profpointy's essay above.

If you like Schubert then give the chamber music and leider a go too. Brahms is very beautiful. Not to mention the German Requiem - you know you are good and dead when they are singing that over you! It seems to predict all the tragedies of the Twentieth century. Shostakovitch wrote some great quartets too. What got me into "serious" music was at school. Back in the days of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones we were taken en masse to hear a string quartet. What looked to us like four grannies announced "We are going to play you a quartet by Shostakovitch (the 7th). What an eye-opener! I had never been so shaken in my life.

Puccini. To quote Captain Corelli "Heil Puccini!" So much to enjoy.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

If you like Schubert then give the chamber music and leider a go too. Brahms is very beautiful. Not to mention the German Requiem - you know you are good and dead when they are singing that over you! It seems to predict all the tragedies of the Twentieth century. Shostakovitch wrote some great quartets too. What got me into "serious" music was at school. Back in the days of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones we were taken en masse to hear a string quartet. What looked to us like four grannies announced "We are going to play you a quartet by Shostakovitch (the 7th). What an eye-opener! I had never been so shaken in my life.

Not so keen on Schubert's lieder to be honest, though have tried. Agree with the rest though. Our Dimitri's string quartets are indeed fantastic and powerful. If you like them, try Janacek & Bartok's if you've not already

andyfraser

Über Member

I had a music teacher at school who was really into classical music (and a brilliant multi-instrumentalist). He used to play us pieces we'd recognise from film and TV then went on to play pieces with a story. He'd tell us the story then play the piece. In the case of the 1812 Overture it was easy to follow the story from the music. I was hooked. I love all kinds of music now thanks to him teaching me to be open minded.

TVC

well if we're doing Wagner excerpts how about this one?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6DjQ1-T3z8

Which leads to this masterpiece

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I have music on most of the time when I'm working at home - even bought a new stereo recently for my home office...

I'm a bit of an early Renaissance aficionado so it will generally be something from that period or something from the Moorish and Sephardic traditions. If I have to really concentrate on something, I find either plainchant or chant from the Eastern Rite is great for getting my mind in gear.

At the moment I've got the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom chanted by the Romeiko Ensemble on.

Wow! That really is something else. Expansive in every sense of the word. Big thanks :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Rite of Spring, innit!:

View: http://youtu.be/5UJOaGIhG7A[/QUOTE]

that's a pretty good version !

I highly recommend the BBC's dramatized documentary Riot at the Rite - about the relationship between the main characters: Stravinsky, Diaghilev, Nijinski, and the notorious opening night Riot. The last half if a full performance complete with choreography and the audience booing and cheering. Both music and dance were thrillingly done even though it was in a sense a backdrop to the action of the drama. Superb. I've also got the Gergiev / Marinsky DVD of a revival of the Nijinksy's choreography - that too is stunning. It's a double-bill with the Firebird

Top Bottom