Favourite Descent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I was just looking through Internet stuff last night and found this video, very good one of the Deliverance Descent on the Glentress Black run, you'll see from the time that it is fairly long, but you don't get the true feeling from the video of how rough it is, this was the descent that persuaded me that full suspension bikes really do have a place in this world. Definately one of the best descents I have ever ridden, and is one of the main reasons why I could never get bored of Glentress. Also see how busy it is, that's about normal.

View: http://www.vimeo.com/5662909

What are your favourite bits of DH?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go to Calderdale and ride the BW that drops from Peckett Well to Jack Bridge, outside Hebden Bridge. Beats any man-made DH any time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rigid Raider said:
Go to Calderdale and ride the BW that drops from Peckett Well to Jack Bridge, outside Hebden Bridge. Beats any man-made DH any time.
That would actually be Pecket Well to Midgehole near Hardcastle Crags (outside Hebden Bridge). This is the start of it:

pecket_well_midgehole_bridleway.jpg

By the way - it is a man-made DH - those huge stone slabs weren't deposited there by glaciers! :tongue:

There is a bridleway from opposite the New Delight at Jack Bridge down Colden Clough to Mytholm on the Todmorden side of Hebden Bridge but I prefer to do it as a climb - there are too many loose stones for my liking. I descended it yesterday and it was pretty scary because it is now covered in fallen leaves and you can't really see what lies beneath.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just think Colin - for hundreds of years packhorse owners were building the perfect MTB trails for us without even realising it! Now people rush off to trail centres when all they need to do is buy a local map!

lit

There's a great one at Newlands Corner from where the car park is heading towards Guildford.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rigid Raider said:
Just think Colin - for hundreds of years packhorse owners were building the perfect MTB trails for us without even realising it! Now people rush off to trail centres when all they need to do is buy a local map!
Yes, there are certainly many miles of good MTB trails round this area.

I really loved riding off-road when we had the drought here in 1995 because all the trails which are normally horribly boggy dried up and became great to ride.

jann71

Veteran
Tough choice - Spooky wood all the way down to Buzzard car park at Glentress. Also a great run in Clyde Muirsheil park to Castle Semple in Lochwinnoch.

lukesdad

The golf course run off the back of Elan Valley down in to Rhayader MEGA !!!

Waspie

Über Member
GilesM said:
I was just looking through Internet stuff last night and found this video, very good one of the Deliverance Descent on the Glentress Black run, you'll see from the time that it is fairly long, but you don't get the true feeling from the video of how rough it is, this was the descent that persuaded me that full suspension bikes really do have a place in this world. Definately one of the best descents I have ever ridden, and is one of the main reasons why I could never get bored of Glentress. Also see how busy it is, that's about normal.

View: http://www.vimeo.com/5662909

What are your favourite bits of DH?

The Deliverance descent is great, not quite so keen on the climb after though.

Not sure I've got a favourite descent but the Gypsy Glen descent across the road from GT is pretty good.

Also the Innerleithen XC descent, love that, although I've not been there for ages for some reason.

OP
OP
GilesM

GilesM

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
That would actually be Pecket Well to Midgehole near Hardcastle Crags (outside Hebden Bridge). This is the start of it:

pecket_well_midgehole_bridleway.jpg

By the way - it is a man-made DH - those huge stone slabs weren't deposited there by glaciers! ;)

There is a bridleway from opposite the New Delight at Jack Bridge down Colden Clough to Mytholm on the Todmorden side of Hebden Bridge but I prefer to do it as a climb - there are too many loose stones for my liking. I descended it yesterday and it was pretty scary because it is now covered in fallen leaves and you can't really see what lies beneath.

Looks good, I'll have to have a wee trip down there sometime.

OP
OP
GilesM

GilesM

Legendary Member
Waspie said:
The Deliverance descent is great, not quite so keen on the climb after though.

Not sure I've got a favourite descent but the Gypsy Glen descent across the road from GT is pretty good.

Also the Innerleithen XC descent, love that, although I've not been there for ages for some reason.

The redemption climb after deliverance is very unpleasant, the fun does stop at the bottom, very quickly.

I've never tried the Gypsy Glen, I really should do it one day.

Top Bottom