Favourite Descent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Too many to mention!

In the UK it would have to be the Walna Scar Road just because its an old classic - but of all time it would have to be a descent called Sooo long near Williams Lake in the BC interior. It was truly Epic!!

Here's a pic:
http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yb3a4g&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

You don't get the length but maybe a sense of the height gain/loss...

Then there's the alps - my favourite was one called Black 8 in les arcs...

OP
OP
GilesM

GilesM

Legendary Member
Waspie said:
The Deliverance descent is great, not quite so keen on the climb after though.

Managed to find the path out from the bottom of Deliverance yesterday, ends up on the road opposite Cadrona, then a ride back along the old railway to GT.

Waspie

Über Member
GilesM said:
Managed to find the path out from the bottom of Deliverance yesterday, ends up on the road opposite Cadrona, then a ride back along the old railway to GT.

Any tips on how to find it? I've tried before with no luck.

yashicamat

The Macc Forest descent from Nessit Hill is a fantastic fireroad blast through a pine forest. All downhill with a few twisties on a fairly good condition fireroad - most of it can be taken at 30mph which is a blast! Have to watch out on the blinder corners though as it is quite popular with walkers too though - go early on a Sunday morning to avoid them.

There's now a short section of singletrack recently opened which links the end of the Forest descent with the Leather Smithy pub. :sad:

OP
OP
GilesM

GilesM

Legendary Member
Waspie said:
Any tips on how to find it? I've tried before with no luck.

The easy thing is look for the shared trail marker just before you start to climb redemption, just before the right hand bend at the bottom of the descent, look to your left here, there is a path downhill, it's a sharp turn left, head down to a small stream, and there is a path through the grass. We managed to find the path this time by riding slowly from the last bridge over the stream, the one with the drop off, normally you just hammer down that section and see nothing but the rocks in front of you.

GilesM said:
Kirstie, the link to the pic didn't work.
What bike did you ride for the Alps, interested to go myself, but wondering do I need a different bike.

Sorry! You can see a smaller version here, but click on full size:

http://michael-wright.fotopic.net/p18629260.html

For the Alps I rode my Ventana X-5 with RockShox Revelations - that's the normal set up, but I did change the tyres and brakes. I used Maxxis High Rollers - 2.7 I think, and the Hope Mono M4 brakes off my downhill bike. I needed them as well. I usually run minis on the Ventana and they would have been nowhere near good enough. I still got through a set of M4 pads in one week as well.

I also rode with a full face, dianese safety jacket and leg armour.

Waspie

Über Member
GilesM said:
The easy thing is look for the shared trail marker just before you start to climb redemption, just before the right hand bend at the bottom of the descent, look to your left here, there is a path downhill, it's a sharp turn left, head down to a small stream, and there is a path through the grass. We managed to find the path this time by riding slowly from the last bridge over the stream, the one with the drop off, normally you just hammer down that section and see nothing but the rocks in front of you.

Cheers. I'll look out for it next time I'm down there.

OP
OP
GilesM

GilesM

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
For the Alps I rode my Ventana X-5 with RockShox Revelations - that's the normal set up, but I did change the tyres and brakes. I used Maxxis High Rollers - 2.7 I think, and the Hope Mono M4 brakes off my downhill bike. I needed them as well. I usually run minis on the Ventana and they would have been nowhere near good enough. I still got through a set of M4 pads in one week as well.

I also rode with a full face, dianese safety jacket and leg armour.

Thanks, hopefully just a brake upgrade, I have Hope minis on my Orange Five, and I'll definately go for some armour.

Top Bottom