Favourite film remakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Scarface and The Fly. I didn't mind the Manchurian Candidate remake, but wouldn't say it's better.
I liked the Jeff Goldblum Fly but the 1950s one still creeps me out more.

Kryton521

Über Member
"The Mummy", the remake with Tom Cruise, I liked the original because of Rachel Weisz? But the newer version has a better script and darker & more threatening

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Soderberghs take on Solaris with Clooney is pretty good. Not exactly a remake of the Tarkovsky film (which was a remake of the Soviet TV version), but based on the same novel.

The writer of the novel hated them all!

I too was impressed by the Clooney one, which I saw before the Tarkovsky one. The remake retains the "sense of wonder", mystery, and sadness of the original, and the production values are just amazing. I prefer the new one, and whilst there's no denying the original is a quality film, I doubt I'll watch it again, but likely will re-watch the Clooney one. I've not read the book

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Admittedly the original was a TV series, but I enjoyed the Gary Oldman film Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. The Alec Guinness TV series back in the day is perhaps the best TV series ever made, and maybe Guinness greatest performance, but the film was still enthralling. I think Oldman is the Alec Guinness of our time for sheer talent and versitily.

We've been watching a few Kurosawa films recently, and Youjimbo, a masterpiece and classic of cinema by anyone's reckoning is remade as Fistfull o dollars - another masterpiece, and yet again as the Bruce Willis version Last Man Standing - again an excellent film I've watched several times, even if it doesn't quite reach the heady heights of the other two versions

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Dawn Of The Dead (2004). It's not as good as good as Romero's 1978 original, which I personally think is the best zombie film ever made, despite some of the wooden acting, but the 2004 film still a good film in it's own right, nothing really like the original, apart from being based in a shopping mall, which is a good thing, not rubbish like most remakes are.

I liked Mad Max Fury Road, I still prefer the original first film though, and probably Mad Max 2. It's a very good film though, even if it's really got no story, very little dialogue, but such an awesome visual spectical. I love the original film though. Mad Max (1) and Dawn Of The Dead, are the 2 films from all the crap we used to watch on VHS rentals as kids (well below the age of the films rating certificates), that are by far my favourites. Modern films just can't quite get that post apocalyptic feel that those original movies did for me.

AndyRM

XOXO
Dawn Of The Dead (2004). It's not as good as good as Romero's 1978 original, which I personally think is the best zombie film ever made, despite some of the wooden acting, but the 2004 film still a good film in it's own right, nothing really like the original, apart from being based in a shopping mall, which is a good thing, not rubbish like most remakes are.

I liked Mad Max Fury Road, I still prefer the original first film though, and probably Mad Max 2. It's a very good film though, even if it's really got no story, very little dialogue, but such an awesome visual spectical. I love the original film though. Mad Max (1) and Dawn Of The Dead, are the 2 films from all the crap we used to watch on VHS rentals as kids (well below the age of the films rating certificates), that are by far my favourites. Modern films just can't quite get that post apocalyptic feel that those original movies did for me.

Is Fury Road really a remake of Mad Max? Personally, I don't think so.

The 78 remake of Dawn was really good, so was the 04 version. Have you seen Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead? Not bad at all.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Wouldn't anything be better than the original Solaris?

You have to be in the right frame of mind, as it is undeniably slow; hey, some people complain that the Clooney on is slow and it's an hour (or two) shorter - but the Tartovski film is still an amazing bit of filmmaking. In another post I mentioned I'd probably not watch it again, but thinking about it I guess I'd see it at the pictures if the local arts cinema showed it

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You have to be in the right frame of mind, as it is undeniably slow; hey, some people complain that the Clooney on is slow and it's an hour (or two) shorter - but the Tartovski film is still an amazing bit of filmmaking. In another post I mentioned I'd probably not watch it again, but thinking about it I guess I'd see it at the pictures if the local arts cinema showed it
"Slow" doesn't do it justice. It was about as engaging as watching a glacier.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"Slow" doesn't do it justice. It was about as engaging as watching a glacier.

Yebbutt if you're a cinema sophisticate like wot I am, you'd appreciate such things.

That said, have you seen Woody Allan's "Interiors"? 'kinell, that's dull ! Or the first 40 minutes is at any rate, I can't comment on the rest. He was trying to be Bergman rather than doing the funny stuff. Apparently it's a masterpiece !

And even"Ran", the great Kurosawa's last film isn't high on my list. Obviously it looks stunning, as you'd expect from the Great Man, but I didn't find it all that engaging, though the central performance is powerful. That said King Lear, which it's based on isn't my favourite play either, as the story is so bleak,

Some so-say action films can be a crashing bore too - we walked out of Gemini man, and I must admit I found the first Hobbit film very tedious too, even though both have plenty of action - unlike either version Solaris.

My favourite film of all time is "Two Lane Blacktop" - a slow paced, yet to me, compelling road movie. Opinion is split between cinematic masterpiece (my own view) and dull plod/nothing happens (which whilst wrong isn't entirely silly either)

They could have really messed up the Japanese originals, but pretty good all in all :okay:

Top Bottom