Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NGC 2903 Leo

• NGC 7331 Pegasus

• NGC 4565 Coma

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Well, I had to think of a poll even sillier than Melvil's 'favourite planet' poll, so I just thought I'd sort out some of the galaxy piccies I've collected through my telescope over the last couple of years.

The question is: which of these galaxies would you like to live in, given the choice? I've included the Milky Way, just in case you prefer to stay put, but I haven't included a picture: getting a view from 'outside' is rather difficult! Note that these galaxies are all at different distances and the pictures are of rather varying quality.

Firstly, the one everyone knows about, the Great Andromeda Galaxy, M31. Distance 2.5 million lightyears.

Next, M33, in Triangulum, another nearby one. Distance 3 million lightyears.

M74 in Pisces, 35 million lightyears.

M83 in Hydra, a mere 15 million lightyears. Not easy to see from Europe!

M100, in Coma Berenices, at 60 million lightyears.

M101, the 'pinwheel' in Ursa Major (near the Plough handle), 27 million lightyears.

NGC 2903 in Leo, 20 million lightyears.

NGC 7331 in Pegasus, 46 million lightyears.

And finally, NGC 4565, an edge on view of this one, another in Coma Berenices, 31 million lightyears.

I would be quite happy to stay in this galaxy, but on a planet orbiting one of the stars in the Pleiades.

Hover Fly said:
I would be quite happy to stay in this galaxy, but on a planet orbiting one of the stars in the Pleiades.

I agree with Hover Fly.
Knowing nothing about astrology (nor astronomy ;)) my favourite constellation is also Pleiades, in the sign of Taurus. I spend hours looking at it through shaky binoculars!

stevenb

Galaxies are amazing....as is the whole univers...
I own an excellent book called 'Universe' by Ted Smart....the information is excellent and mind boggling.
Milky Way gets my vote being local.....and a nice little choccy treat that doesn't fill you up between meal times. ;)

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I'll pick M31, since it is close (and I have actually seen it through my telescope). I rather like M51 though. I've never seen it, but the pictures of it are stunning ;)

Andrew

Melvil

I also pick Andromeda as it would give a great 'crash view' when it eventually collides with our own galaxy!!*

*Of course this will be many millions of years away but I can wait...I'm patient

OP
OP
P

Pete

cisamcgu said:
I'll pick M31, since it is close (and I have actually seen it through my telescope). I rather like M51 though. I've never seen it, but the pictures of it are stunning ;)
M51 (The 'Whirlpool') isn't on the list, purely for the reason that I haven't 'done' it yet! Same is true of another famous spiral, M81 (Bode's Galaxy). I wanted to include more, but this forum limits polls to ten choices. I did choose fairly Milky-Way-like galaxies (all spirals, all same general shape) and I'm sure each of them must have at least one habitable planet somewhere in their midst...

So far in the poll, M31 Andromeda appears to be a clear winner. Now all we need is a faster-than-light spaceship...

Arch

Married to Night Train
M83, I think it's rather pretty...

OP
OP
P

Pete

For those not in the know, the 'Antennae' are a pair of spirals crashing into each other (and unwinding each other's spiral arms in the process). I do have a piccie I took, somewhere, I'll post it when I get a chance. Looks like a rather hairy place to live in, and all that atmosphere of 'collision' might make it dangerous for cyclists...;)

And Seyfert Galaxies might be ruled out for similar reasons: I have tried one (M106) - and M77 is on my 'to do' list. They're not easy to image!

[edit]My (rather poor) NGC 4038/9 attached. This pair is in constellation Corvus, distance is disputed, around 40-50 million lightyears is mentioned.
ngc403829apr2006033sbr2.jpg

To see the faint 'antennae' which sprout to upper right and left, and then curve downwards, you may have to turn up the brightness on your monitor.

Top Bottom