Favourite painting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
rich p said:
I once swapped one of his for a hank of secondhand sashcord.

It was............

.......:whistle:

Groan!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love photorealistic paintings from the likes of Richard Estes

I love his City scapes
477102.jpg

45.jpg

563572.jpg

494302.jpg

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
great_works_143632s.jpg

john2_big.jpg

These are 2 of my favourite pieces by the Artist Gwen John, sister of Augustus John. They are views of her room in Paris and though not large paintings dominate the rooms they are hung in.
She is a painter whose work is worth seaking out. And, when seen alongside the work of her lover Rodin, are gentle subtle pieces of delicacy and charm.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Maybe this by Hiroshige, although it's not really a painting:
hiroshige_atake_sous_une_averse_soudaine1.jpg

Or this by Pieter Breughal the elder:
hunters.jpg

Or maybe this by Hundertwasser:
1993-cat937-Close-up_Of_Infinity--Hundertwasser.jpg

I also love Kandinsky's work, particularly his early stuff:
SueBond-7KandinskyMurnauSt.jpg

More later...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Whistlejacket. No thumbnail pic can do it justice - a livesize horse in a glorious rich caramel/treacle colour. Apparently the horse caught sight of it when Stubbs was working on it, thought it was a rival stallion and tried to attack it...

Whistlejacket_by_George_Stubbs.jpg

Or Monet does the Thames:

0036.jpg

That's a good call, Ian - there are many that I admired 'once upon a time' :laugh:.
Do you know the paintings of Brendan Neiland - taking architecture / reflection into the abstract zone. Audrey Flack is another favourite of the photorealist school - not forgetting Duane Hanson - shocking you with his 'real people'! Chuck Close has also developed a really interesting style as the years have passed...

Do you like the paintings of David Tindle guitarpete? He paints in egg tempera - lovely qualities, painstakingly crafted...

I have always liked Pat Caufield's work - complex and well drawn + the fact that he was a good friend of a tutor of mine and bought beer for impoverished students! :biggrin: (RIP both)

Top Bottom