Favourite slang word...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Elmer Fudd said:
Hoiksters (sp.) Scottish armpits

That would be "Oxsters".

This thread is making me realise how many words I use in everyday conversations are "slang" words. Long may it be encouraged!

johnny 2 chins

Can I just be a bit pedantic? The word you are looking for is "keech".
Keek means to look. cheers.

Noodley

johnny 2 chins said:
Can I just be a bit pedantic? The word you are looking for is "keech".
Keek means to look. cheers.

Can I be even more pedantic. Keech may be the correct spelling but it is not the correct pronounciation - as in Stacy Keach. He is named Keach but is a keeCH actor. The accent is on the CH (the same noise as tv's used to make after "the queen" was played :biggrin:xx()

It's quite a diificult sound to write.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Oh, and one from when I was daan sarf - 'Jank' meaning horrible in the worst way. i.e. 'Check out that nightclub over there, wiv the girls outside doin' the chinwag, it's well jank, innit.'

walker

I got plenty that I use more often than not:

Goat Blower: Not really sure what it mean's but I like it

Jockey: as in Cock jockey

Jack Rani: Erm.... Dunno if I should say

Tetedelacourse

Wogan said:
My favourite is "skite" - a Scottish word which loosely translates as "to slip, very briefly, on a slippery substance". As in "Ah jist skited on a dug keech" or "thon Contis are gash - ah' wiz skitin' aw ower ra shoap".

When one "skites", the accompanying onomatopeia is "wheech".

Usage: "Ah ran ower a dug keech an' skited right intae a wa' - wheech! - totally skelped ma coupon"

Translation: "I cycled over some dog excrement and slid into a wall - (untranslatable) - I sustained a serious head injury as a result"

PS: "skelp": to hit, esp. to slap. Not to be confused with blooter, welly, banjo or malky.

skelp can also be used to describe the act of finishing a drink, usually alcoholic. eg "right, let's skelp these and move on" or "I must've skelped about 16 pints last night".

Top Bottom