Favourite tipple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Following on from a thread about alcoholic units per week, what is your favourite non-heavy drink; you know, something to sip at and pass the time of day over lunch, with friends, at a barbie, etc?

On a hot summer's day: Pimm's - the classic version. A good substitute is tinto verano (sp) a Spanish drink with equal measures of red wine and lemonade (or Sprite) with a generous helping of Vermouth, and some sliced fruit.
Gin & tonic is never wrong. ;)
A good (or bad) brandy on a cold, dark, wet, winter's evening, after an hour or two out on the bike, skiing, walking around the shops etc.
A good real ale in the pub with mates.
A good red at a dinner party (although Swedes don't really do them - they just get wrecked on the homemade moonshine!).

What do you recommend to get into a state of inner contentment?

And what do you take to limit the effects of a killer hangover? :biggrin:
Neurofen and a few large glasses of water if I've got my wits about me, otherwise I suffer!

Bigtallfatbloke

And what do you take to limit the effects of a killer hangover?

Ok here are my tried and trusted tips:

1) Don't get a hangover
2) if that fails attempt not to mix your drinks
3) Given that both the above often fail I suggest:

a. Drink a big glass of full fat milk before drinking alcohol

b. Take two tablets of Milk Thistle (herbal green alternative shops sell this) before drinking, one half way through the session and two in the morning.

...If you are anything like I used to be then there isn't any room in your fridge for milk because of the beer. In such circumstances you can rely on point 3)b. above, trust me on this those pills are the magic answer we all seek, they could make millions selling them as hangover cures but they arn't allowed to.

monnet

Guru
Dayvo said:
A good substitute is tinto verano (sp) a Spanish drink with equal measures of red wine and lemonade (or Sprite) with a generous helping of Vermouth, and some sliced fruit.

You have to make sure it's really cheap 'DOn Simon' from a tetra brick though. And don't ever be tempted by Kalimotxo - cheap read wine and coke!

I have to say I have a broad spectrum of alcoholic tastes:
Gin and Tonic is a fine drink and enjoyable at anytime.
Mead (warmed, with cloves and a bit of vodka) is a fantastic winter warmer.
Czech lager. Manna from heaven. God definitely likes the Czechs.
Red wine, Rioja or Argentine Malbec, great with dinner.
And...alot of people won't like this but it's another Spanish favourite...whisky and fanta. Great on a night out (especially in Spain where the whisky is about a third of a bottle)
Also a big fan of a nice real ale in a country pub.

No cure for hangover though

longers

Legendary Member
Robinsons Best bitter (now re-branded as Unicorn) in the Bulls Head, Old Glossop. Paul keeps a truly delicious pint there.

Bloody Mary with the usual ingredients plus chopped coriander. It's actually doing you good as you drink it. Vitamins.

Spanish Brandy, preferably served in Spain for a proper measure.

Joe from works homemade blackberry wine.

G'n'T is never wrong. You're right there Davyo.

Proper scrumpy with rats in it.

An italian wine I can't recall but it's pink, sparkling, fruity and from the Veneto region. Hint of strawberries. Great light drinking. I've only ever had it there.

Broughton's Scottish Oatmeal Stout.

There's more but these are the top few and I've got stuff to do. Housework before I've earn't a vodka'n'V8 tropical.

'51' - The proper Pernod. Ice, water ahhh! (Just finished my first of the day).

I have a strange liking of Pelforth Brun - dark french beer served in as big a measure as possible.:biggrin:

I'm not really fussy about beers - can never usually remember what I've been drinking...

Hangover. Fizzy, soluble paracetemol and codeine - Boots specials. Quickly absorbed an don't hurt too much when they come whizzing back up ;)

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
longers said:
Spanish Brandy, preferably served in Spain for a proper measure.

I never used to like brandy (until I tried one that tasted just like brandy butter you have with the X-mas pudding) but cycling through Spain a few years ago, I couldn't get going in the morning until I'd had an Americano and a LARGE Magno or Osborne's brandy, for about £2.00! :biggrin:

And monnet's right about the Dom Simon; cheap as chips and works like rocket fuel, metaphorically speaking! ;)

Big Bren

Tea is my tipple of choice thesedays.

I cured hangovers by stopping drinking in January of this year - never missed it and never felt better.

Bren

barq

Hot days: Bulmers' Organic Cider / Stowford Press Cider
Cleaning bike: Pretty much any regular lager
With food: Merlot
Winter: Port
Emergencies: Stolichnaya ;)

None of these drinks combine very well - as long as I don't mix I don't usually get hungover.

Any Suffolk Cider
London Pride (having one now)
Guinness
Red wine (any)
White wine (any)
Famous Grouse

But not all at once , although......

Good real ale (how I hate that phrase) - especially Timmy Taylor's Landlord ...
... or failing that, canned Stella Tortoise.
Single malt whisky, especially Ardbeg, Laphroaig, HJighland Park, Glenkinchie ... any of them really.
Red wine.
Sloe Gin with a splash of tonic in the summer, or neat in winter.

I don't often get hangovers (cos I'm good at drinking) but when I do, they tend to be real killers. The best cure I've found is to be sick.;)

Top Bottom