Favourites of yesteryear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I still eat paella, just not the Vesta packet one.
1689886902319.png

Gillstay

Über Member
Proper Parkin. Anyone where to get any ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My mum has always made sherry trifles. She only stopped because our generation weren't much for desserts. Same goes with Pavlova, table creams and junket (spelling?). We were allowed instant whip on special occasions but it was deemed too expensive when we were young.

Chislenko

Veteran
Would agree with the poster above about butterscotch angel delight, to die for, especially if you stick some Dream Topping on it!!

One thing I noticed you can't buy anymore are tins of Stuffed Pork Roll.

1e398f2b9ee519d99ace4eac1c906ba1.jpg

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never heard of that stuffed pork roll, although remember Tyne. The Tyne company and factory was bought in 1967 and turned over to pet food production apparently.

As a kid, my regular Monday night dinner was leftover chicken from Sunday, with chips and gravy.
I was reminded of it recently, 60 years later, when a guy on another table in a restaurant ordered chicken and chips, and asked if it would be possible to have a pot of gravy to go with it....

What happened to those trifle sponge fingers with the sugary outer coating, that used to exist when I was a kid? Trifle with those in was brilliant.

Final thought: treacle pudding and thick, thick custard. (Rather out of bounds to me now, as I am diabetic!!!!)

Alex321

Veteran
As a kid, my regular Monday night dinner was leftover chicken from Sunday, with chips and gravy.

We still usually have left over Sunday joint on Monday, usually with fried potatoes, having deliberately boiled more than needed for the Sunday dinner. And if there was any gravy left over, yep that will be included.

I was reminded of it recently, 60 years later, when a guy on another table in a restaurant ordered chicken and chips, and asked if it would be possible to have a pot of gravy to go with it....

What happened to those trifle sponge fingers with the sugary outer coating, that used to exist when I was a kid? Trifle with those in was brilliant.

You mean these?
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254948751

Final thought: treacle pudding and thick, thick custard. (Rather out of bounds to me now, as I am diabetic!!!!)

I was never that keen on that actually - custard I love, but treacle pudding, while OK, I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
What happened to those trifle sponge fingers with the sugary outer coating, that used to exist when I was a kid?
My mum found it harder and harder to get hold of them, and eventually not a single shop in a 50 mile radius seemed to sell them. Possibly why she stopped making so many trifles

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Blancmange.
I used to love making the powered stuff at home. Just add milk and sugar, then slowly simmer.
I can’t find it anywhere now.

Top Bottom