Fawlty Towers

Should John Cleese write a new series of Fawlty Towers?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 60 84.5%
  • What's a Fawlty Towers?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Who is John Cleese?

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Apparently, it's up for a new series with Basil trying to cope with the world as it is now...

Basil couldn't cope with the world as it was then, I'm pretty sure we know how this is going to go!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
For 'Basil trying to cope with the modern world' read 'John Cleese ranting against wokeness'. And I don't see an 83 year old bloke doing much physical comedy either. He should stick with retirement although he does have a slot on the UKIP/Brexit party/ReformUK TV channel.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It has a chance of being really good if they're clever with it. If Basil is basically the same character but older, and getting to grips with Wi-fi and Deliveroo orders to people's rooms then it would make some good content. I don't know much about Cleese and his personal views but hopefully that won't come into it.

It also has the potential to be really bad, but I'll certainly want to watch it if I can

Do you still get appaling seaside hotels used by paying guests? I imagine that Fawlty Towers is now occupied by single mothers with children or Afghan asylum seekers, or the hotel has turned into a boutique wellness centre with vegan cuisine, yoga classes and crystal healing workshops.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
44 years since the last series..
It seems that the hotel will be a 'boutique' type of place.
Filming to start next year, with John Cleese, at 83, to write and star in it.

Hopefully it'll be a good, fun, watch!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The proof of the pudding…

It has the potential to be really good

except that Cleese has not been funny for many years
and his 'views' have become more extreme and he keeps expressing them

so whether or not he can put any political views and anti-woke stuff to one side and still write a decent comedy is unknown

Also - he only half wrote the original - so we don;t know how he will cope without that extra input from that person

and - of course - repeating such an iconic show is always setting yourself up for failure

I would love it to be great - but I am not hopeful

It will be a car crash like every reboot the originals are not that classic either.
Sounds like a quick cash and grab for him and is daughter.

Isn't he one of those celebs that has a lot of maintenance payments to make to ex wives???

maybe the incentive - also - if it is a success his daughter has a good start for writing something else
otherwise she can blame her Dad

It has a chance of being really good if they're clever with it. If Basil is basically the same character but older, and getting to grips with Wi-fi and Deliveroo orders to people's rooms then it would make some good content. I don't know much about Cleese and his personal views but hopefully that won't come into it.

It also has the potential to be really bad, but I'll certainly want to watch it if I can

I'd like Basil to now be the 'Major' of the hotel, resident moaner and holder of outdated views lol

Top Bottom