Fawlty Towers

Should John Cleese write a new series of Fawlty Towers?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 60 84.5%
  • What's a Fawlty Towers?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Who is John Cleese?

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Remembering it now, yes most of the comedy was centred around stereotyping others. I would think any new episodes would only appeal to DM readers and/or those who grew up in a time when xenophobia etc was fashionable. Also Cleese was a very physical comedy actor and I don't think he could pull it off now. So I've amended my view on whether I'd watch it or not; yes I would out of interest but would not get my hopes up

I'm not so sure about that.

Even when first aired, those attitudes were outdated, and I think that was rather the point of the stereotyping, and a large part of why is was funny.

I'm still not particularly hopeful that the reboot will be all that good, but I'll give it a try.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So is a good sitcom dependent in any way on the "sit", or is it all in the "com", the script, acting, directing.
Is there any "sit" that can never be good comedy?

I'd be prepared to wager that some sits would be so distateful, or so boring, as to require genius level acting, script & directing to extract a drop of com from them. And for some sits, it would be impossible.

Whereas others may be fertile ground enabling any old hack writer and bunch of jobbing actors to string together a just-about-broadcast-able series of pratfalls, gags and catchprases. Which I think is a decent definition of "sitcom".

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I mean it just might work, but he's become something of a curmudgeon in his dotage ...
A bit like painting glasses on the Mona Lisa ... why spoil a masterpiece in the hope of bringing it up to date?

Results thus far suggest a comprehensive 'no' from the CC collective.

Someone needs to ring JC* and put a stop to FT2.

*Not the one that allegedly died 2 millenia ago.

:laugh: (liking the reference to "our lord JC")

The thing is, 8% of voters do want to see it (despite all the leftie moaning here); if only 8% of the people that have seen Watery Flowers since first aired watch the reboot, I reckon Johnny will be quite happy with his work.

:laugh: (liking the reference to "our lord JC")

The thing is, 8% of voters do want to see it (despite all the leftie moaning here); if only 8% of the people that have seen Watery Flowers since first aired watch the reboot, I reckon Johnny will be quite happy with his work.

The vote is for if I want him to write it, not whether I'd watch it😉

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I see he's a tad upset at Auntie Beeb according to him on the GB News UKIP Tribute Act* channel. Not surprising that they had that incident when the Germans episode was temporarily removed from streaming. He's obviously upset about that which has probably motivated him to go ahead with this project despite him saying he'd not return to it. And he retired to somewhere tropical as he doesn't like the cold UK now. Plus, I think he's been dying to attack the BBC.

While the original remains a work of comedy genius, mainly about Basil's class aspirations, the updated version will most likely be a rant about anything he considers to be 'woke' and thus will be quite tediously predictable. Plus, the original had some great physical gags in it which I don't see an 83 year old man (who once had physical problems due to doing the old Ministry of Funny Walks repeatedly) jumping up & down, running around the hotel, up and down stairs etc - in French farce style.

I think it'll likely be a load of old cobblers. Glad the other remaining Pythons don't feel the need to resurrect Python. I wonder what his co writer Connie Booth has to say about it?.

* nicked from Andrew Neil

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What anagrams are they going to use on the hotel name board this time
fawlty-towers-episode-11-sign-flowery-twats.jpg

DRM

Guru
He should leave it alone, it finished on a high, it was of it's time, as others have said it'll be a whinge fest of everything he now doesn't like, bit like Victor Meldrew on moaning and whinging enhancing drugs

mustang1

Guru
I was originally going to say no. Let the original series rest and be remembered for what it was (in a nutshell, truly excellent).

But then I got thinking (uh oh). If Cleese will write it and be in charge of which actors will be played, and has full control, then it might not be too bad. So I voted yes, coz I'm feeling frisky.

Ahem, I mean risky.

Top Bottom