Fear of Death?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

Forgive the subject in what is usually a light hearted forum but....

Are you afraid of death or worry about it, even think about it at all?

I ask because I'm 50 this year and the Reaper probably has his eye on me now concerning future business and, after a near fatal bike accident last year which I have no memory of, I was thinking that popping my clogs while out riding on a fair summer's day in our beautiful countryside wouldn't be too bad a way to depart this mortal coil.

After having nearly killed myself and loosing a few people close to me over the past few years, I find myself with a more than passing obsession with....passing.

Any thoughts?

sheddy

Legendary Member
I'm not afraid of dying - I just don't want to be there when it happens

domtyler

Über Member
Worrying about dying is a sure way of knowing that you're alive. Because you definitely won't be worrying about it once you're dead.

stevenb

When I was younger I got real upset about it.
Then I thought that as I'm not in a position to stop eventual death in whatever way it happens I should enjoy whatever I can in life.

Im 33 this year but Im fitter now than I think Ive ever been before....or very close to it.

I think when you get older and wiser your outlook and views on life and all the goings on will change.....

I try to keep a positive outlook on everything....and if it's a negative thing thats concerning me I try and look forward to solving whatever it is thats troubling me.

col

Legendary Member
I know what you mean,i think after loosing people close to you,you start to see your own mortality.I do sometimes think about it,and wonder,but try not to dwell on it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not bothered here as well - too many things that can cause it, especially cycling, so if it happens it happens - just make sure the family are covered financially......... just not too much to make it worth the better half doing you in though ! :becool:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well being a worrier I do think about it, even though I'm more like stevenb's age. I agree very much with his comments. I think one finds one thinks about things like this in winter (all right so it's spring but the weather hasn't been great). It's odd as in a 2 week period in early march I had 2 relatives die and a third had a bad stroke, strange timing indeed. One of them I was never told about at all by my relatives and I found out well he sounds like an all right bloke and seemed to have more than a passing similarity in personality and interests to myself. Anyway I ramble.

TVC

Within six months in 2006 my mother died, my sister died and I had a serious bike accident. The whole period taught me not to worry about what you can't alter. I have no fear of death, and I believe that most likely comes from having no regrets. The concerns I used to have about my mortality were based on suddenly not having any more time to do stuff, 2006 taught me to be content with what I have.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Once you have reached a certain age, I think you just get tired of living and it doesn't bother you that much. My mum was of that mind, she died aged 91 still of sound mind but bed bound and fully aware that her body was ceasing to function.

I was dead for billions of years before I was born and it didn't do me any harm.

Top Bottom