Fear of flying..... don't watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That was windy - do quite often see them coming into Manchester sideways though - looks like there was a nasty gust as it tried to touch down......still safer than commuting on a bike.......

Nice recovery - the left wingtip actually scraped the runway. Just after that, you can see the plane mushing with the right engine very close to the ground, then the engines power up and away they go.

Ich wette, die Passagiere ihre Hose scheissen!

I am scared of flying - terrified, in fact. I still do it but it takes tablets and red wine to get me on the plane! But it actually comes as some relief to me that:

(1) the plane did not instantly burst into a fireball when the wing scraped the ground

(2) it appears (from other news coverage) that no-one was physically injured (although I am sure there will be extensive dry cleaning bills!)

(3) the pilots were in sufficent control to carry out a go-around, rather than slamming on the brakes, throwing out the anchors and hoping for the best

(4) pilots feel that such awful conditions do not constitute such a risk as to divert to another airport - this suggests to me that their training and the aircraft they fly are of a very high standard indeed

Footage such as this, and the recent BA short landing at Heathrow give more more confidence to fly

All 18 wheels on a jumbo are steerable so as to enable them to land sideways don't you know.

Keith Oates

Janner
News to me also, I did see one Jumbo once in Schipol where one of the wheel sets had turned sideways. But this was after the plane had landed and was being repaired so I don't know how or where it happened!!!!!!!!!!!

Chapeau to the pilot for that recovery!

I think we all to readily accept the statistics about how safe flying is and put it down to regulations and controls, all too easily forgetting about the incredibly highly trained men and women who fly the planes.

Top Bottom