Fear of road riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
can i ask a daft question what is GBW

I assume it is a reference to the cycle track along the guided busway between St Ives and Cambridge
1808422 said:
I'm afraid that your heaven sounds like a prison to me.

It sounds like a prison to me as well - however I used to ride to Cambridge regularly along the A14 and I think if it was in existence at the time I would probably have tolerated it as an alternative.

Crankarm

Guru
For those who can't keep up or haven't heard or are asleep most of the time, the GBW or G U I D E D B U S W A Y is a super smooth tarmac path/road running alongside the ........ guided busway between St Ives in Cambs and Cambridge itself. There are no vehicles allowed on it, except bicycles, horses and peds. It is heaven as there is absolutely no traffic except crossing 4 or 5 minor roads along it's length at which there are traffic lights to control traffic crossing. The St Ives end has Fenstanton lakes which offer a good view on clear evenings. Quite often gease or migrating birds fly over head. The only dodgy thing at the moment is avoiding the numerous piles of horse shoot.

However it certainly isn't a prison. Far better than being on roads where you are not sure whether a speeding car approaching from a side junction or behind has got your name on it and is going to flatten you. Currently it has got to be the best stretch of cycle track in the country.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For those who can't keep up or haven't heard or are asleep most of the time, the GBW or G U I D E D B U S W A Y is a super smooth tarmac path/road running alongside the ........ guided busway between St Ives in Cambs and Cambridge itself.

How long is the GBW?

Crankarm

Guru
I assume it is a reference to the cycle track along the guided busway between St Ives and Cambridge

It sounds like a prison to me as well - however I used to ride to Cambridge regularly along the A14 and I think if it was in existence at the time I would probably have tolerated it as an alternative.

The A14 has to be one of busiest and most dangerous roads in the country with a huge volume of traffic using it as it is an arterial route between the ports, the Midlands and the North. When I drive along it to work I occasionally see mentalists cycling along the 2ft wide hard shoulder with hundreds of trucks, vans, coaches, buses and cars squeezing by them within the thickness of a Rizla fag paper of their elbows. It is absolute madness to cycle along this road. It would be a death wish. Certifiable. And yet there are stupid blue cycling signs at the slip roads advising cyclists to take a detour or to dismount.

When was it you rode along the A14 psmiffy?

Crankarm

Guru
How long is the GBW?

14 miles give or take a bit - St Ives to Milton at Cambridge end. I never measure it in distance, only time which is about 35- 40 minutes to ride it. If conditions were favourable then 30 mins would be possible. Kevincambs knows more than me as he has been riding it for a couple of years. I don't think he considers it a prison.

Crankarm

Guru
1808848 said:
No I am not ****ing trolling. I am merely pointing out that confining oneself to one particular cycle lane and a few pavements is not exactly enjoying the freedoms which cycling can offer us.

How do you know? You haven't even ridden on it :laugh:! Who are you to start dictating what extent of cycling counts as sufficient enjoyment of the freedom that you say cycling can offer? Each to their own. You ARE trolling, troll.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I want to ask a stupid question too: what the heck is a troll? You are always accusing each other to be one, or to do something like one, I was even called a troll on a thread here :wacko: I guess it has nothing to do with Terry Pratchett's Disk world, so tell a stupid woman what it is!
Back on topic, I think I found my happy medium riding the roads: early in the morning/late at night/when I know the way, I'm really confident now that I've been doing it for a couple of weeks. On peak traffic times, or when I'm really too tired to stress myself, I have no qualms whatsoever in resorting to crossing on foot or riding the occasional pavement :tongue: most are deserted anyway, as walking is deemed bad for your health here :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
1809091 said:
Trolling is dragging a bait to lure a predatory fish. Crankarm is suggesting that I have been deliberately posting contentiously in order to get a rise out of him.
Aha, I see, cheers for the explanation.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For those who can't keep up or haven't heard or are asleep most of the time, the GBW or G U I D E D B U S W A Y is a super smooth tarmac path/road running alongside the ........ guided busway between St Ives in Cambs and Cambridge itself. There are no vehicles allowed on it, except bicycles, horses and peds. It is heaven as there is absolutely no traffic except crossing 4 or 5 minor roads along it's length at which there are traffic lights to control traffic crossing. The St Ives end has Fenstanton lakes which offer a good view on clear evenings. Quite often gease or migrating birds fly over head. The only dodgy thing at the moment is avoiding the numerous piles of horse shoot.

However it certainly isn't a prison. Far better than being on roads where you are not sure whether a speeding car approaching from a side junction or behind has got your name on it and is going to flatten you. Currently it has got to be the best stretch of cycle track in the country.
No need to be sarcastic - some of us don't live in Cambridgeshire.

Currently it has got to be the best stretch of cycle track in the country.

Possibly and I don't know about the northern leg but whenever I've ridden on the southern leg out to the Trumpington P&R it's been completely empty.

We did look at it for my daughter to cycle from the station to Addenbrookes but decided Hills Road was much better because its both shorter/quicker and there are many more people and cyclists around - safety in numbers applies to more than just cycling safety - and options such as calling a taxi if she got a mechanical rather than having to fix it or walk in a rather vulnerable location.

I've only seen a video of the northern section but it looked pretty devoid of cyclists too.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
From my experiences of road riding, I can understand why the OP has this 'fear' of riding on the road.

Cars are normally going twice your speed, you have to be aware of peds and road obstacles. You need to remember all of the necessary hand signals. And you need to be extra aware of what the cars around you are doing and take care of your own safety.

The technique of riding on the road is really no different to riding on a shared use path. Instead of lots of peds, there are lots of cars. And they can both do unexpected things.

If you are not comfortable with riding on busy roads straight away, plan a route or commute on minor roads and give yourself lots of time to get where you want so that you are not in a rush or under pressure.

Practice different techniques at junctions and decide which is safe for you and others.

With regards to other drivers on the roads, ignorance is bliss. Just ignore what anyone shouts or does (within safety limits). If someone is going to ram you off the road, jump out of their way. Just remember: You can replace a bike, but you cannot replace you life.

I enjoy cycling on very minor, unnamed, country roads, as I can go my own speed and ride right against the verge if I meet another vehicle. You also get a better workout than riding on the flat (unless you maintain a high speed).

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you enjoy it.

(The majority of this advice is what I should be giving myself really)

Top Bottom