Fear of road riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I think fear is a sign of intelligence and imagination. I think the fearless careless ones are the ones who simply can't anticipate danger...The good thing about intelligence and imagination though, is that although they see danger, they can be trained to work for the good - anticipate, look ahead, expect anything, and by and large, you won't be caught out.

+1.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Why not pavements? There are no pedestrians, it's an industrial estate. Actually there are pedestrians on the cycling tracks on my way, because they are shared. :angel:
Highway Code says:
"62
Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]"

Don't ride on the pavement. Simple as that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As a driver, a motorcyclist of many years' experience and a cyclist I can tell you that drivers will size you up from afar (those that actually see you) and decide how much of a threat you represent to their road space and progress. If your body language is un-assertive they will brush past you paying you little heed. If you are riding fast, well out in the road, riding as if you own that road space and clearly aware of their presence they will give you a wider berth and more respect.

......in most cases.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I have my IAM motorcycle test and would totally endorse reading cyclecraft. Most of the stuff in it counts for driving/riding any vehicle on the road.

My training has helped me enormously on my pedal bike. It's all so much easier at pedal speeds too.

D

Deleted member 1258

Dave, I wish somebody could train me in what do do when a car passes me(going straight ahead) to turn left, because he/she cannot wait half a minute for me to be out of the way. Or, like last night, roads empty, black taxi stationary at the side of the road waits exactly for me to be at his bumper to decide he must move out. I mean, I have so many flashing lights not even Santa! And there was no others on the road. Of course I anticipated that was going to happen, I lived to see my cat again ^_^
I don't really care about reporting drivers and the like, just wanna get to work and back home in one piece.

When I'm going straight on where theres a left turn I will be expecting the impatient driver to try and get past me and get his turn in and will often be using a primary road position, in the middle of the lane, to try and discourage the manoeuvre, if the driver gets just in front then brakes for their turn, either back of yourself or look to overtake on the right, local knowledge is useful with this, over time you will get to know which junctions are bad for this, I've got one junction on my commute thats bad for this, and which junctions aren't, what you don't want is the driver trying to execute the turn from your right hand side, the left hook. With a parked vehicle you should be aware of the doorzone, the area thats covered by an open car door, and be in a primary road position far enough away so you are not going to be hit if someone opens a door, that makes it easier to deal with the vehicle pulling away as well.

PurplePoodle

I'm not sure if it's a fear I have or not of driving on the road.. I just feel strange about it. I've started going on the road from my house to the canal to get used to being on the road and cars going by. I plan on cycling to college so lots of road cycling then

sidevalve

Über Member
One of the problems is that perhaps like many you are taking up cycling later in life. If you start out [very] young you of course are totaly fearless like all kids and then hopefully you learn roadsense and some idea of self preservation. This comes fast when you're young and stays with you all your life even if like me you take a long break from cycling, it takes a lot to get over the feeling of vulnerability later when you know how much it can hurt.
Don't be ashamed to pull over and stop. If turning right seems risky, well it aint the end of the world if you bottle it, stop and walk across the road.
I agree that the books above are great but like the books about driving a car rely on everyone else having read them too.
Take yourself off to some quiet sideroads and practice everything from looking behind to changing gear,
it may sound silly but it will help boost confidence.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
One of the problems is that perhaps like many you are taking up cycling later in life.

yes, you got it! :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hi-viz vests are normal, so no-one really notices them.

I sometimes use Hi-viz overshoes from Gore; twice motorists have stopped and said that they'd seen me simply because of them!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

I sometimes use Hi-viz overshoes from Gore; twice motorists have stopped and said that they'd seen me simply because of them!

Cheers, that's a good tip!

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember a few years ago one of the club lads having a pair of bright yellow high vis gloves, you could see them from miles away.

This sounds to me a bit like the Fear of Flying. Objectively cycling on the road is extremely safe but people don't perceive it as such. In which case getting some training is likely to be more effective than reading a book, very good though Cyclecraft is.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can teach yourself though.

Buy and read cyclecraft.

It's defensive riding for cyclists. Some of it is plain sense, some a little more counterintuitive until you understand it. Like riding further out to get more room from passing drivers - the idea being that they see you more as an obstacle to pass, than something to brush past.There are tips on tackling all sorts of junctions and hazards.

So, buy it (or see if you can get it from the library), read it, put it into practice and then re-read it occasionally - we all benefit from refreshing our knowledge every so often.The driver or cyclist who thinks they know it all and can stop learning is the biggest fool.

Excellent advice. Some of it is entirely counterintuitive, like riding in the lane on a roundabout rather than hugging the edge. I'm far too old to feel immortal and I came back to cycling quite recently, but being assertive ( not aggressive or arrogant ) , helps drivers know what your intentions are. BTW, where are you in the country? I'm in London which is a place that some might think to be an absolute nightmare on a bike. Most drivers round here are used to bikes and treat me well.
My only tip when starting out would be to practice looking over your shoulder....often.

Have a great time on two wheels.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom