Fed up of fixing my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I've spent more time adjusting the chain tension on my single speed than I have adjusting the rear mech on my other bike. If I'd realised this beforehand I think i would have got a seven speed rear with a single chain ring instead.

Really? What do you need to fix? I tighten the chain every couple of months (5 mins if that). Apart from punctures and new tyres & brake blocks that's it.
So it has ever lasting bearings? BB lasts for ever? Cogs front and back, which since i believe there are less of i would think might wear faster, never wear out? Chain never wears out or needs checking or oiling cleaning? Rims never need checking and cleaning cos they last for ever? Never need to clean/check brake blocks for debris? No wonder SOME fixie riders look so smugly other worldly.

Last edited:
I've spent more time adjusting the chain tension on my single speed than I have adjusting the rear mech on my other bike. If I'd realised this beforehand I think i would have got a seven speed rear with a single chain ring instead.
Good point. I like 7 and 8 speed. Edinburgh bike co-op do an 8 speed rear single ring at the front i think. My most used bike is a 3x8, gears hardly ever need touching.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Bikes are like a garden. If you dont cut the grass and pull a couple of weeds every week. You soon find yourself living in a jungle.

I have 8 bikes. All in very good working order. But I dabble on each every so often but dont often Work on them. One bike should be a doddle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I must have the wrong sort of bike then. My hybrid needs very little attention after the initial break in period (which involved building some decent wheels and replacing the junk Tektro hydraulic brakes with some quality Shimano items). Perhaps the OP needs a more suitable bike?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
single speed chain tensioner perhaps?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I must have the wrong sort of bike then. My hybrid needs very little attention after the initial break in period (which involved building some decent wheels and replacing the junk Tektro hydraulic brakes with some quality Shimano items). Perhaps the OP needs a more suitable bike?

The roads a shocking around here so seriously considering a CX.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So it has ever lasting bearings? BB lasts for ever? Cogs front and back, which since i believe there are less of i would think might wear faster, never wear out? Chain never wears out or needs checking or oiling cleaning? Rims never need checking and cleaning cos they last for ever? Never need to clean/check brake blocks for debris? No wonder SOME fixie riders look so smugly other worldly.

True, I need to lube the chain every couple of weeks, change the BB and sprocket and chain when they wear out - maybe once every few years. Other than that, nope. Like I say, fixies don't need fixing.

Dan B

Disengaged member
True, I need to lube the chain every couple of weeks, change the BB and sprocket and chain when they wear out - maybe once every few years. Other than that, nope. Like I say, fixies don't need fixing.
You are entirely correct. Apart from all the various maintenance tasks required on a fixed gear bike, there is no maintenance required on a fixed gear bike

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On my fixed gear I used to go through parts as follows:-

Wheels - 18 months - rims would wear out.
Brake pads - 3 sets a year
Chain and rear sprocket - 1 a year
Chain ring - one every 4 years
Tyres - 6-10 months depending on tyre.

Maintenance, was bike was washed and chain lubed every wet ride (which is quite often) as I hate dirty bikes.

Oh and I'd usually get hit by cars on an ad-hoc basis, but got to 3 times in a year when my job moved into Manchester centre. But, the bike usually survived better than me !! Only had to replace bar tape and brake levers 1st time, nothing 2nd and 3rd time (although there is a big scratch in my carbon forks that I'll replace at some point - not ridden that bike in 9 months though).

Mm, so yes it's a bike.
Another mm - if the sprocket (singular) and chain only need changing every few years you surely can't be riding it that much. Either that or it is running at less than optimum efficiency. I accept of course that on a fixie the chain is not subjected to sideways flexing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 4452804, member: 259"]Knees - new set every five years.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Nah, mine were fine, but I broke some ribs, then broke some more and my back. Seems I had a target painted on my bike.

Top Bottom