Fed up with commuting with a rucksack...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
I use the lowe Alpine Airzone, its 100% better than my Ospray for cycling. Berghaus also sell something similar but gets better test results in mags.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I quite like the look of the Union 34 bags http://www.zest.co.uk/gear/new-city-cycling-gear/3965.html

I kinda wish i'd picked up a lidl pannier set now, although that Topeak kit does look sexy... If only bike stuff was ugly it would be a lot easier to ignore!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Frankly I wouldn't give a flying whatsit about a work laptop, much more worried about breaking my neck / back. You can get racks that go on the seatpost that are compatible with the slidy DX bags, just need to check the weight I guess

Dear god I'd never thought of breaking my neck!

The advantage of getting a biggish bag is that I can still buy beer on the way home!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Yeah, I like mine, find it very convenient. If you want to use the panniers, you'll need to get the MTX Dual Side frame additions as well as the MTX beam rack.

Note also that there are three different beam racks. The A-type angles up from the seat post clamp, the E-Type is flat and the V-Type angles down from the seat post clamp. This is to get the rack as low as possible to the rear tyre, for stability. My road bikes take the V-Type but have a little look at your bike before buying, if you do go that route.

Can we have a 'duly noted' button like the 'like' button?

I use the lowe Alpine Airzone, its 100% better than my Ospray for cycling. Berghaus also sell something similar but gets better test results in mags.

That's quite surprising, have you tried any of the Deuter. Lowe Alpine bags are generally average, but I was tempted by the airflow.

I currently use a Alpkit Gourdon 20 in Flo though, because it's proper waterproof and reflective as hell. I have used my 1998 Karrimor Cougar, but that was to transport 48 cans of coke to the office (don't ask).

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Andrew, I have a topeak system on my commuter, I'm in Ipswich everyday so if you wanted a look let me know. You wouldn't get a big and heavy laptop in mine though.....

I'm going to do some research then probably start refusing to cart my huge laptop home and back every day. I'd love to take a butchers at your Topeak system though, where do you work?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any another one with a Topeak MTX DX bag here. They aren't waterproof, so add in the waterproof cover for £12 and you are sorted. I always have the pannier sides 'down' but they are usually half full with waterproofs, puncture kit and my lunch. They can just cope with a full set of clother, 3 locks and shoes on top of the daily load. The bag ends up very heavy, but you do get a shoulder strap.

They are surprisingly hard wearing. They aren't as good as Ortleib pannies, but there is the flexibility. You can also get a laptop type bag for the MTX fitting system.

If your MTX bag is going to be heavy, then I'd get the full rack (Super Touriste) rather than a post rack.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Dude - get a rack - get a pannier -job done.
I put my whole rucksack inside the pannier and ride into London. 20 miles each way. If i can do it, a man of your pedigree most certainly can :smile:
^^^^^^^^ THIS!

The amount you are carrying should be in panniers. It's what they are for and to sacrifice functionality for the sake of aesthetics is madness. :stop:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
^^^^^^^^ THIS!

The amount you are carrying should be in panniers. It's what they are for and to sacrifice functionality for the sake of aesthetics is madness. :stop:

I'm riding a single speed cobbled together from a frame I bought off ebay when tipsy and parts that a friend was throwing out, aesthetics are not my biggest concern :smile: The shapes I throw up hills are not pretty :becool:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm riding a single speed cobbled together from a frame I bought off ebay when tipsy and parts that a friend was throwing out, aesthetics are not my biggest concern :smile: The shapes I throw up hills are not pretty :becool:

I ride a lightweight fixed (8kg's) and I decided to 'spoil' the looks with a pannier and rack. Main reason was the weight in the rucksack with shoulder issues. You soon get used to the bike's heavy back end and you never notice it after a few weeks.

Top Bottom