Fed up with commuting with a rucksack...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

I've had several bits of Topeak equipment and without exception every single one has broken in some way. Their zips are very, very cheap, either the "handle" of the zip will break off or the zip mechanism will fall off the zipper. The clamp on one saddlebag snapped clean in two.

I can't recommend them.

Mike!

Guru
I'm going to do some research then probably start refusing to cart my huge laptop home and back every day. I'd love to take a butchers at your Topeak system though, where do you work?

Down by the Footie Ground Andrew on Constantine Road, I came in the car today with my clothes and food for the week but will be on the bike for the rest of the week from tomorrow. Usually here from 8am to around 16.30.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Down by the Footie Ground Andrew on Constantine Road, I came in the car today with my clothes and food for the week but will be on the bike for the rest of the week from tomorrow. Usually here from 8am to around 16.30.

Smart, I'm over at Farthing road but can easily nip to Constantine road and back in a lunchtime! If all goes well shall I pop over tomorrow lunchtime? What time would be best for you?

SW19cam

Über Member
I have come off while wearing the laptop, it's testament to how well made the titanium shelled Dell machines are made!

The worst bit about carrying a laptop on your back is when the machine doesn't go into standby properly when I shut the lid - it gets roasting hot by the time I get home!

That's gotta be good in the winter though! ;)

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Coulda sworn i replied to this already.

I have one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-sqr-tour-bag-including-sqr-bracket/ which is pretty spacious, hides behind your thighs and fit in well with modern bikes. I got mine a year or so ago and it took 3-4 months to turn up, seems they cant supply them as fast as they sell them.

If it wasn't for the lousy stocking that would probably be the winner.

Crankarm

Guru
You could try a different rucksack. Mine (a Lowe Alpine Airzone) doesn't get me a sweaty back at all, which is amazing considering it is usually dripping from my forehead by the end of a ride.

Alternatively, I use a Topeak rack which clamps to the seat post and takes one of the sliding-mount rack bags with panniers. That's a lovely piece of kit, takes a huge volume if required but, with nothing in the panniers, all zips up quite tidily and the clamp means that the rack comes off in seconds if you aren't commuting.

These are very good small rucksacks. They come in 25 litres and 35+10 I think.

Osprey also do similar bags. They have a life time warranty. Osprey are good but they are just a bit too fiddly IMHO. I prefer Lowe Alpine.

Only prob with the Airzone and similar bags is they reduce internal volume due to the design of ventillation system to keep the bag away from your back. So if you want to carry a lap top it might be tricky. The new Osprey Exos 46 is very good.

Norm

Yes, the Airzone does reduce the internal volume but I didn't have a problem with my 15" HP. I only carried it a couple of times a week (I've since switched to a desktop policy) but I could will get the laptop, charger, change of clothes etc into the bag, it just needed to be stuffed a little more carefully.

Good point, nonetheless. :thumbsup:

mangid

Guru
I'm fed up with commuting with my rucksack, mainly because by the time I arrive I look like I've lain in a puddle and have an invisible wet snake curled around my shoulders. But I also don't want to put panniers on my spindly singlespeed.

My laptop is huge and heavy and I'm expected to take it home each night, although I might renegotiate because everything we do is cloud based. I do take quite a lot of food to work though, and a nice big flask of coffee.

I've seen photos of a rucksack dealie that appears to attach to the seat tube and stem, has anyone had any experience of this method of getting goods from home to work?

I've been using an Ortlieb Flight for 4 years. It's very waterproof, I run fixed with no mudguards and commute year round, and never have a wet change of cloths. It has an external frame, without much of a weight penalty, which helps with ventilation, and weight transfer.

I can fit a 17" mac pro in mine and a change of clothes, I tend not to commute that often with the mac pro, but can do the 40 mile morning commute with it when required ;-)

Top Bottom