Feed stations...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am training for my first sportive which is the end of June, I have a question about the feed stations... How long is the average stop for people stopping? I know it will mainly depend on each person but was wanting an average. I am hoping to do a long ride tomorrow but only want to stop half way for my planned stop for the 'average' time so I train to what is needed.... Sorry for the dumb question but I've never done a sportive before! :okay: TIA!! :laugh:

I stop to catch my breath, fill up drinks eat a few flapjacks - 5 or 6 mins? Some take longer, some take less.

EDIT: I do this every 20 miles or so. I prefer 100km (60 miles) so will stop twice for this sort of time.

Danny B

Yep agree with above. Only just started sportive myself and feed stops are just enough for a leak and quick drink and small bite to eat. I do make sure I take a bit longer at the 50 mile stop and have a sit down for 20 mins.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Depends on the distance and how fit you are really. However if you are a complete beginner with little experience i would say 10-15 minutes.

As you get fitter your stop times will be less and you will do what the lads above do, stop, grab, go or if you get to start doing the mileages that @DCLane does then we may have to look at you being sectioned ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are really fast - not long, because the queues won't have formed yet.

If you are moderately fast/slow - quite a long time, if you get stuck in a big queue.

If you are slow - not long, because either everybody else will have cleared off ahead of you or the feed stations will have run out of supplies!

If you are really slow - WHAT feed stations? They packed up and left ages ago! (I got to a feed station on one sportive and they were packing up 20 minutes before the cut-off time. I complained and the man told me that he had better things to do on a weekend afternoon than hang around for hours waiting for unfit cyclists to arrive - charming! I mentioned it to the organiser at the finish and he said that he would 'have a word' with the guilty party ...)

Last edited:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Also depends what you're trying to get from the ride- my first one this year I was going for a good time, I was out solo and did a smash and grab, second one I was with a friend, we sat under the dappled shade of a tree and had a bit of a feast before remembering we were supposed to be riding our bikes. I've also been known to skip them completely.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
^^ it's true decide what you want out of it.

Do you want to try it for the experience and the challenge of the distance you have chosen .

Reactions: Moe

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sportives I usually want to stop less than whoever I'm riding with :laugh:

Freewheeling rides, we stop for lunch for about an hour or more if we're enjoying whatever we've gone to see, or beer with lunch. That's why I don't ride many sportives any more :laugh:

I've not given much thought as to 'what I want out of it' (except to get around the course).... Yes I would like a fairly good time but that said, it's my first one so I guess it's a starting point what ever time I do it in. :okay:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I've only done Ride London 86. I stopped twice, first one was to attempt to drain out my gloves, I stopped long enough to eat a couple of things (I can't eat on the bike very well so don't try) and was probably intended to be 5 minutes but ended up as 10. The second was probably 20 miles from the finish, I tried to use the mechanic for a minor mechanical but it was all a bit of a waste of time (literally, probably 15 minutes) and I then used around 10 minutes eating (because it was separate to the tools area) and texting the wife) I was grumpy about the length of that stop but at least the rain had stopped. Ride London had huge stops so there was no queuing anywhere when I was there, although I didn't do top of Newlands Corner because it had a reputation for being the primary stop and very busy. I don't do comfort breaks often when riding and didn't need one at either, it all comes out as sweat I think. I was riding 'alone'.

If you aren't disciplined at it, expecting to stop for 5 will turn in to 10 quite easily, but unless you are chasing the cut off, or looking for a great time it really doesn't matter. I used to ride long distance motorbike rallies so am a bit weird about stopping (I hate doing it basically, the stuff I ended up doing had a mandatory rule of no more than 400 miles between stops) so will do it as little as possible, even on a bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom