Feeehub upgrade dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TK421

Casual Extremist
Can I just swap the freehub on a rear wheel to go from 8 to 11 speed or do I need to change the whole hub? I have 2 rear wheels to play with, a 28 spoke Axis Classic and a 32 spoke Alexrims. Both are 8 speed. The freehub on the Axis wheel is big enough for 10 speeds but not 11. I just bought an 11 speed Shimano 105 groupset in the clearance sale on CRC as I already have a 11 speed 105 groupset on my first bicycle, so I want to keep things simple. I would prefer to change just the freehub than the whole hub with the requisite wheel rebuild and truing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very unlikely you will find a replacement freehub to fit. Usually new wheel time.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Chances of finding a suitable freehub to convert the existing hub are slim to impossible.

I'm a bit confused about what you are asking because in your first post you say this....

want to keep things simple. I would prefer to change just the freehub than the whole hub with the requisite wheel rebuild and truing.

Then in your reply you say this ...

Really?!? So even buying a whole rear hub and rebuilding the wheel won't work?

Most people consider lacing in a new hub as much work as a new wheel so excuse Fossy's description of 'new wheel'. He is very much capable of lacing in a new hub and considers it a straight forward DIY task, but not everyone does!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
im hoping to clean up on spares when fold start flogging 10 speed cheap ;)

Top Bottom