Q/R 135mm rear disc road wheel build. Things you might like to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just finished a wheel build for my 2017 GT Grade carbon. Things were a bit complicated as it is something of a transition bike and can perhaps be described as an early 'Gravel' or 'All-road' bike and had a funny spec of disc brakes with a 135mm QR rear hub and 15x100mm thru-axle front hub. Made a few discoveries along the way that are worth sharing so putting them here so people on the wide-web might find them if needed.

The OEM Mavic wheels were starting to give me cause for concern as the rear wheel in particular had developed an annoying tick over a year ago which has steadily got worse until I eventually found 2 loose spokes. Not an issue until I tried to re-tension them, only to find that the nipples were well and truly locked/seized onto the straight pull spokes. after a good long soak with oil I got one freed off (having to grip the spoke with vice-grips), but the other sheared off at the nipple. The wheels are effectively scrap as the Mavic spokes are stupidly expensive and all in a similar state, so a single spoke replacement still leaves me unable to true the wheels (Weirdly, despite the two loose NDS spokes the wheel was still true, probably because the wheel is so heavily dished that the NDS spokes are actually doing very little! I have felt/heard the wheel flex once or twice when under duress).

The world seems to have moved on to 12mm thru-axle front and rear now and I did build some 12mm thru-axle wheels for my commute bike using Shimano 105 hubs, but searching for a 135mm QR disc Shimano hub only comes up with XT mtb options, either the old style M756 with 6 bolt disc mounting ( I have used this for various MTB and commuter wheel builds in the past), or the current M8000 which is centrelock disc mount so matches the Mavic hub I am replacing. Front hub was relatively simple and was dictated by my desire to only have 28 spokes at the front with 32 Rr. This means the hubs are not a perfect match as the 28h hub was dropped from the latest generation.

I ordered my hubs and revelled in the sparkly shinyness when they arrived..... I then ordered my rims. Until my last set of wheels I have always used Mavic rims and never been disappointed..... until I used a set of Open-Pro disc rims that started splitting around the nipple holes within months!!!! I then discovered on the web that I was not alone in this and the rims have a hopelessly low max spoke tension rating and the problem was common. The Open-Pros were replaced with DT rims and problem solved. For some reason I decided to give Mavic a second chance when I found the Gravel/dirt A1022 which sounds perfect for my intended use this time around....

1678297763122.png

So perfect? Strong, light, easy to get tyres on/off and designed for a bit of rough treatment. I hope my choice of Mavic doesn't come back to bite me!

When the rims arrived something odd caught my attention. The spoke holes were way off centre, in fact the rim profile was skewed to one side. They were assymmetric! I have checked all the retail info and even Mavics own spec pages and NOWHERE is this mentioned, you'd have thought they might tell you such a key fact? Anyway, not a problem, actually a bonus as this would improve the strength of the wheels due to the reduced dishing requirement. :okay:

So there is interesting interweb fact #1 for anyone who stumbles across this. Mavic A1022 rims are asymmetric, although it looks like they are no longer made so stock seems to be drying up now? Also, beware because this might bother you, due to the reversed flange offset from front to rear hubs you will need to mount your rims the opposite way round Fr-Rr. If like me you have minor OCD tendencies you could find this upsetting. I can tolerate it only because I know it is technically the stronger solution....

I ordered my spokes and built the wheels. They are probably technically the best wheels I have ever built. First time I have used asymmetric rims so spoke dishing while not equal is pretty good. I got my spoke lengths spot on so thread finishes flush with the top of the spoke nipple and for the first time ever I paid attention to which spokes were leading and which trailing so the wheels are hopefully best suited to handle drive force at the back and braking force at the front. Despite not building for weight reduction, using more spokes than the 24Fr/24Rr original wheels and MTB hubs rather than road versions my wheel build has knocked 150g off the wheels.

Now for interesting discovery/fact #2. When I built up the wheels with tyres, discs etc it was only when I came to finally mount the 105 11-32 cassette that I found something else was amiss. The cassette lockring wouldn't engage with the freehub. It was almost midnight at this point so I initially thought I must be mistaken or doing something wrong, but no, no matter how I tried the threads just weren't even close to catching. A short while later, vernier caliper in hand I found the reason. The freehub body was 2mm shorter than the 'normal' one. The 'normal' freehub that has been the shimano spec suitable for 9/10/11spd cassettes for years was apparently different on this current XT hub and this was news to me. Turns out Shimano have reduced the cassette body by 2mm to 35mm for 11spd MTB while sticking with the 37mm freehub for its road groupsets (105/ultegra/etc).

***EDIT: Turns out I got this slightly wrong. Just done some additional reading (as well as measuring the freehub depth on one of my XT M756 hubs) and it looks like freehubs were always 35mm deep but Shimano went to 37mm for 11spd road cassettes while retaining the 35mm set-up for MTB by slimming down the cassette spider as I have done.***

Options at this point were limited and not very appealing;
  1. Buy an MTB cassette. But this would be 11-40T and require some serious tinkering to get it working on my Ultegra equipped bike, resulting in stupid ratios I didn't need or want.
  2. Buy a suitable non-Shimano hub and rebuild the wheel. At this stage not really desireable, and besides, I like shimano rear hubs.
  3. Machine 2mm out of the back of the cassette spider to make it fit. There appeared to be enough room to clear spokes and for the mech to operate through the full gear range but this would render my hub/cassette combination unique meaning I won't be able to buy spare cassettes 'off the shelf' in the future.
I opted for 3 as this means I keep the wheel intact and the easily serviceable shimano hub. as well as the 105 cassette I have been running since 2018 I also have a boxed replacement waiting to go on when the time comes.

Trial mod has been done (thanks to a work colleague who has a DIY CNC machine in his garage!!!) and fits/works perfectly so I just need to get my spare cassette machined to match now and that should be me set for another 4-5yrs at least before I need to get any further cassettes machined.

1678300496992.png

1678300566100.png

I apologise for the rather long and possibly boring thread, but this info just doesn't seem to be out there so someone is bound to find it useful, especially if you want to run normal/sensible cassette ratios on an MTB hub :laugh:

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Mavic wheels can be a problem down the line especially spokes, Mavic only hold spares for 5 years. Needed a wheel rebuilt and it was a case of trolling thro all the spare spokes in the Mavic dealers site to fine the right length and pblade profile.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Plan B!

Just been looking at the Shimano tech docs and see that the XT M8000 hub uses the same securing bolt as the Ultegra FH-6800 QR hub which obviously does accept an 11spd road cassette.

With this in mind I have taken a gamble and ordered the 6800 freehub from woolly hat shop for £24 inc del. Part No Y49398060

If this fits and works it will be a much better solution than having to machine every cassette I ever want to fit. Fingers crossed, and if it doesn't work there may be a cheap freehub available for a reasonable price.....

Ajax Bay

Guru
Now for interesting discovery/fact #2. When I built up the wheels with tyres, discs etc it was only when I came to finally mount the 105 11-32 cassette that I found something else was amiss. The cassette lockring wouldn't engage with the freehub. . . . A short while later, vernier caliper in hand I found the reason. The freehub body was 2mm shorter than the 'normal' one. The 'normal' freehub that has been the shimano spec suitable for 9/10/11spd cassettes for years was apparently different on this current XT hub and this was news to me. Turns out Shimano have reduced the cassette body by 2mm to 35mm for 11spd MTB while sticking with the 37mm freehub for its road groupsets (105/ultegra/etc).
Thank you for posting your experience and pleased your wheels were 'the best you've ever built': what a great feeling. I have a pair of XT disc hubs QR with 135 OLD rear laced to Open Pro rim brake rims (second hand, not yet ridden) hence particular interest.
My immediate reaction (last night) to the freehub revelation (above) was that this is a what's normal issue.
You merely had a "normal" freehub properly designed for 8/9/10 speed road cassettes and were surprised an 11sp cassette wouldn't fit. Shimano have "reduced" nothing. There's a reason why you need a 1.8mm/2.8mm of spacers to fit a 9sp/10sp cassette onto an 11sp freehub (37mm deep).
I have (to be sure of reality) just measured the XT freehub and it's 35mm (and also measured a spare 'normal' 105 RH-5500).
I think the MTB 11sp cassettes can be designed to fit on a 'normal' freehub body because the larger sprockets can overlap the inside of the freehub body, in much the same way as you have bodged it (but with an 11-25 that wouldn't be possible, I suspect).
Replacing the freehub body is the obvious route rather than clever machining, and your Plan B popped up while I was typing. The 'normal' freehub body has resale value which could defray the £24, but perhaps use it with your reamed cassette for years first.
Ride on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You merely had a "normal" freehub properly designed for 8/9/10 speed cassettes and were surprised an 11sp cassette wouldn't fit. Shimano have "reduced" nothing.

Maybe you misunderstand me. I wasn't trying to fit an 11spd Cass onto a 10spd hub. The M8000 hub is 11spd and I was trying to fit an 11spd cassette. The info I was missing was that the compatibility had diverged at 11spd.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano have been a bit naughty since 11. And this new groupset 'Cues' which will probably make the legacy stuff not work.

I'm surprised you've not been told that a 40T MTB cassette is a must on a bike. Or even it's time for an e-bike ! Full of old duffers on 'ere ! :tongue: :rofl:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Maybe you misunderstand me. I wasn't trying to fit an 11spd Cass onto a 10spd hub. The M8000 hub is 11spd and I was trying to fit an 11spd cassette. The info I was missing was that the compatibility had diverged at 11spd.
No - I don't misunderstand, with all due respect. The M8000 hub is NOT 11sp: you were "trying to fit an 11sp Cass onto a" 8/9/10/11sp hub.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deorext-m8000/FH-M8000.html
says the spec is not "11sp" but:

Rear speeds11/10/9/8

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The M8000 hub is NOT 11sp

Looks like 11spd to me? One of us is wrong and I know how you like a good argument so..... Bye :hello:

1678362142459.png

fossyant

The hub is FH-M8000. What do you think the 'M' stands for? I appreciate it misleads, annoyingly.

Oh FFS, Skolly's already said about the 'bit' about MTB11 and Road 11 being different - it's not obvious - I've googled it and SJS have said not compatible, but it takes a good search.

The thread is about being careful mixing stuff, as Gravel is the thing now, and 135mm hubs may cause issues using a 'road' cassette - sometimes not obvious when buying one.

It's not obvious for 1.8mm, which it should be, given previous compatability. I have 7, 8 and 10 speed running on various freehub bodies with a spacer if needed - never knew road/MTB 11 was slightly wider as you can get the 'dish' from the spider for the last sprocket on cassettes.

fossyant

If you've ever decided to 'build a wheel' it's quite complex. I've just built vintage Deore XT Parallax hubs into new rims. Fortunately, the cassette sprockets are in exactly the same position as the cheap 7-11 speed Decathlon Wheels and I'm using a 7 speed cassette on both.

It's at no point obvious to those of us who build wheels. A slight mistake costs hours and a set or two of spokes.

fossyant

The added issue is the changing axel standards at the moment, Skolly's bike isn't old, but the rear axel standard for gravel bikes has changed very fast. It's as bad as MTB's. It came with Mavic wheels, I'll replace with a gravel/excellent hub like XT, whoops, the cassette needed is MTB specific now beause Shimano changed the spec - Mavic didn't ! Mavic hubs still did 8 to 11, Shimano messed about with 11 freehubs on their wheels as they released it. Other's were forward 'compatible'.

It's easilly overlooked as Skolly mentioned IF you build your own wheels... XT hubs are some of the best though !

Top Bottom