Q/R 135mm rear disc road wheel build. Things you might like to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As I said in my first post, thanking Skolly for sharing his experience, I have exactly this rear hub M8000 on a set of disc braked wheels. I was going to buy the chosen hubs (135/100, XT, both QR and both 32s) and build them but an almost new XT-hubbed wheelset with rotors (180/160) included at an excellent BiN price meant the pleasure of building my own was trumped this time. Running 9sp so "11sp" not an issue.
ETA: And Fossy attempts to talk down with "If you've ever decided to 'build a wheel' it's quite complex." Really? Are you new to wheel building and thought this worth sharing Fossy?

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just been out on the new wheels today for a proper test ride (other than the 2 minute spin around the block when I finished them).

They ride superbly, really pick up speed, climb well, feel lively, are rock steady when descending fast and really planted in corners. Just under 23 miles with a bit over 2300ft of climbing and 10 PRs (up and back down the Glossop side of the Snake Pass) on a route I have ridden plenty of times before so these are definitely a fast pair of wheels.

There, don't think I have missed out any of the clichés?

Joking aside. They did feel like a nice pair of wheels and with PRs picked up on the out and return legs which rule out any wind assistance, I think they are an improvement over the old Mavics they replace. Possibly just the placebo effect? :laugh:

Still waiting on my new freehub to see if I can make the XT hub work with standard 11spd road cassettes. Evri (Hermes) have had it sat at their sorting hub since last Thursday according to the tracking details..... :huh:

Proto

Legendary Member
For accuracy it's 1.85mm not 2.0mm to remove from the cassette spider ^_^

I've machined a few myself in the past, nice Hardinge HLV lathe, expanding 5C collet to hold the cassette. Very satisfying.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bitex make a good range of quality hubs, and some can be converted from through axle to QR and vice versa, but this one would have fitted the bill nicely - 135mm OLN, plus 11 speed free hub.:

https://bitexhubs.co.uk/product/mtr12-mtb-6-bolt-disc-rear/
Seeing @I like Skol has a 11sp road cassette to slide on, how can you tell whether this Bitex hub is a 37 or a normal 11sp MTB freehub - would need to be the former to "fit the bill nicely" (@£116)?
Note OP wanted centre-locking for the rotor, btw.
1679355381321.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
Looks good. The 'R' suggests it'll be a 'road 11sp freehub. But how can you tell: DCR use the same freehub nomenclature. as opposed . How can you tell whether this Bitex hub is a 37 or a normal 11sp MTB freehub? I've had a good poke around the site (and in fact already had the main DCR site open as I was looking at a pair of new rims).
This is my take-away from @I like Skol 's experience - not being able to to tell whether a hub has a road 11sp freehub (37mm) or a normal(aka? "standard") MTB 11sp (35mm).
"Specs: *Free Hub Body Compatible for
– Shimano 10 / 11s"
Your previous effort:
Freehub Body (54pt)Shimano 11 speed (standard), Shimano 11 speed (Steel), Shimano Microspline (please purchase upgrade), SRAM XD, SRAM XDR, SRAM XD (Steel)

Proto

Legendary Member
Not certain of this but I think you’ll find that nobody manufactures old style ‘short’ Shimano free hubs anymore. They are all road pattern and spacer is supplied with Shimano MTB 11sp cassettes to enable them to be clamped with the lock ring. SRAM cassettes have never needed this, all the same width I believe.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Suppliers' pages really should be clear, with no recourse needed to phone ffs.
"Not certain of this but I think you’ll find that nobody manufactures old style ‘short’ Shimano free hubs anymore."
With respect, you comment this @Proto , but if you're not certain why say this (which is false)?

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2022/08/a-guide-to-freehub-body-and-cassette-compatibility/
"Shimano’s Hyperglide (HG) freehub design has been around since 1990 and remains the most common option in use today (NB 2022 article). It is now commonly referred to as an “HG Mountain” freehub body . . . [11t sprocket smallest]
"At (approx) 35 mm across the spline length, the original-width HG freehub remains current for mountain bike purposes, but is discontinued on road-specific wheels.
"Shimano 10, 11, and some 12-speed (if the smallest sprocket is 11T or greater) mountain bike cassettes are also a direct fit. . . . These newer 11 and 12-speed mountain bike cassettes fit the older and narrower HG freehub body by cantilevering the biggest cogs over the spokes.
"Things are more complicated with newer road drive trains. Shimano 10-speed road cassettes fit with the addition of a small 1 mm spacer behind the cassette
"The introduction of 11-speed road cassettes required a new freehub with the same spline pattern as Shimano HG, but an extra 1.85 mm of length to accommodate the additional sprocket (now measuring 36.85 mm). This is commonly just called “Shimano 11” or “HG 11”. Both Shimano and SRAM 11-speed road cassettes require this longer 11-speed freehub body. Similarly, new Shimano 12-speed road cassettes will fit HG 11 freehubs.
" Shimano’s 11-speed 11-34T “road” cassettes are actually rebadged mountain bike cassettes, which means they will fit on “HG Mountain” freehub body [or] or an older road wheel. These cassettes require the use of a 1.85mm spacer (supplied) to fit on an 11-speed Road HG freehub.

Proto

Legendary Member
Suppliers' pages really should be clear, with no recourse needed to phone ffs.
"Not certain of this but I think you’ll find that nobody manufactures old style ‘short’ Shimano free hubs anymore."
With respect, you comment this @Proto , but if you're not certain why say this (which is false)?

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2022/08/a-guide-to-freehub-body-and-cassette-compatibility/
"Shimano’s Hyperglide (HG) freehub design has been around since 1990 and remains the most common option in use today (NB 2022 article). It is now commonly referred to as an “HG Mountain” freehub body . . . [11t sprocket smallest]
"At (approx) 35 mm across the spline length, the original-width HG freehub remains current for mountain bike purposes, but is discontinued on road-specific wheels.
"Shimano 10, 11, and some 12-speed (if the smallest sprocket is 11T or greater) mountain bike cassettes are also a direct fit. . . . These newer 11 and 12-speed mountain bike cassettes fit the older and narrower HG freehub body by cantilevering the biggest cogs over the spokes.
"Things are more complicated with newer road drive trains. Shimano 10-speed road cassettes fit with the addition of a small 1 mm spacer behind the cassette
"The introduction of 11-speed road cassettes required a new freehub with the same spline pattern as Shimano HG, but an extra 1.85 mm of length to accommodate the additional sprocket (now measuring 36.85 mm). This is commonly just called “Shimano 11” or “HG 11”. Both Shimano and SRAM 11-speed road cassettes require this longer 11-speed freehub body. Similarly, new Shimano 12-speed road cassettes will fit HG 11 freehubs.
" Shimano’s 11-speed 11-34T “road” cassettes are actually rebadged mountain bike cassettes, which means they will fit on “HG Mountain” freehub body [or] or an older road wheel. These cassettes require the use of a 1.85mm spacer (supplied) to fit on an 11-speed Road HG freehub.

Do you have anger management issues? I’m out. Have a nice day.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Do you have anger management issues? I’m out. Have a nice day.
Nope. I'd observe you completely fail to address the issue and resort to random ad hominem. I appreciate your first comment was an effort to help (someone, not the OP). You have a nice day too!
Keen that erroneous comments are not left there for others to read. My backside reminded me of my 300km on Saturday on a short ride today.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
With this in mind I have taken a gamble and ordered the 6800 freehub from woolly hat shop for £24 inc del. Part No Y49398060

Still not received my freehub that was ordered on the 9th! It appears to have disappeared into the Evri abyss and hasn't moved since arriving at their hub on 10th. I have raised a case with ebay/WHS and will either get a refund/re-purchase or they will need to send a replacement...... hopefully via an alternative carrier?

As soon as it is here I will crack on with my research :rolleyes:

EDIT: Haha, just realised what I typed there. My hub is stuck at their hub......

Top Bottom