Feel like changing to belt drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
My bike is using Shimano Alfine which is quite quiet. I intend to change to a belt drive to make it quiet still. Will it make much difference in reducing noise level? Has anybody got these combination and what are your thoughts.

Orange

I also have the Alfine, the 8-speed and it seems quiet enough for me. Are there any other benefits to swapping the chain to a belt?

I also have the Alfine, the 8-speed and it seems quiet enough for me. Are there any other benefits to swapping the chain to a belt?
Belt doesn't need oiling so shouldn't get get grimey with road muck. Also has a longer service life than a chain.
I've considered one then decided that there isn't actually much wrong with a chain anyway, changing a chain isn't difficult and they are cheaply available. Might need a chainwheel\sprockets now and then but that shouldn't be often with an alfine anyway as you're not moving it over a cassette and should have an excellent chainline all the time. A chainglider could equally well deal with the grime issue.

The Milk is the only bike AFAIK that takes a belt drive otherwise you will need to have a framebuilder break your chainstay and put a gate in it for the belt. I looked very closely at getting one but in the end got a chain drive and all I can hear anyway is the tyre noise. I did like the idea of having a maintenance free drivetrain but decided to go for traditional in the end.

I have a belt drive on my two Stridas.

I found that they still get mucky, but the biggest issue was slippage. When wet and you want to accelerate they keep slipping if you place too much pressure on the pedals.
You also have the same problem as a fixed chain driven system with tensioning the belt as it stretches.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just brought a Mercedes Benz belt driven touring bike using shimano nexus 7 speed hub gears , cant wait to give it a good try later in week , will advise more when ridden more and pics to follow

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Tks guys for your input. I think I stay put with the chain. They have to cut my frame to suit the belt. Not worth it. Don't think i get any benefit beside much quieter which currently already quiet enough.

Orange

I've got the Scott Sub 10, 2011 version bought cheap in the sales - the 2012 version has a belt drive...

• Gates Belt Drive uses a carbon-reinforced belt instead of a chain—this system is exceptionally long lasting, virtually maintenance free and nearly silent
  • Belt Drive system doesn't require lubrication, meaning no greasy chain; split dropout and eccentric bottom bracket facilitate easy replacement and tensioning of belt

Crankarm

Guru
I've got the Scott Sub 10, 2011 version bought cheap in the sales - the 2012 version has a belt drive...

• Gates Belt Drive uses a carbon-reinforced belt instead of a chain—this system is exceptionally long lasting, virtually maintenance free and nearly silent
  • Belt Drive system doesn't require lubrication, meaning no greasy chain; split dropout and eccentric bottom bracket facilitate easy replacement and tensioning of belt

I was looking at this bike, the Scott Sub 10 2012 belt drive, but none near me. No Scott dealer I found was prepared to order one in .............. which is confidence inspiring not, unless ....I paid in full up front or a non refundable deposit. As if ..............Two Scott dealers in Cambridge said "Non." Evans wanted £50 from me so I could look at it in their MK shop which is more than a one hour plus drive away for me. As I have previously bought 3 bikes from them I thought they might waive it, but unfortunately this cut no ice, so they can go swivel. Crap customer service.

Top Bottom