Feeling pretty stupid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I think it's a balance thing as you say, it's practise, you need to be coordinated, a bit of planning, being prepared, keeping your right foot on it's pedal, then as you come to a stop in a fluid movement, pull on the brakes, lift your bum from the saddle & then drop your left left floor to the floor, as you don't have a crossbar you'll have to use your arms to steady the bike. Does all that make sense?

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

I think it's a balance thing as you say, it's practise, you need to be coordinated, a bit of planning, being prepared, keeping your right foot on it's pedal, then as you come to a stop in a fluid movement, pull on the brakes, lift your bum from the saddle & then drop your left left floor to the floor, as you don't have a crossbar you'll have to use your arms to steady the bike. Does all that make sense?
I can see it in my head! I'll practise tomorrow. You lot are bloody fantastic. Thank you!

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's a balance thing alright. I've got a 250kg motorbike, and I can quite easily stop at traffic lights, stand astride it with both feet on the ground and hands off the bars, and gently knock it from one inside thigh to the other, back and forward until the lights change. It's a good stretching exercise if you've been sitting on the thing too long!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The lack of crossbar does make it more unwieldy.

ebike.jpg

I hired one of these in Spain last year and found it a sod to manoeuvre at low speeds because you effectively have two weights on the end of a pole.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Time to dust off the Sheldon Brown mount/dismount video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNevNqA8sIs

I was going to say is the OP dismounting to stop because assuming you have the saddle height right i cant reach the floor when i stop .

The lack of crossbar does make it more unwieldy.

View attachment 432178

I hired one of these in Spain last year and found it a sod to manoeuvre at low speeds because you effectively have two weights on the end of a pole.
If that is the battery pack underneath the carrier I can see that it could have an effect of trying to tip you over when you slow down or stop. It must feel like riding a bike with a child sat on the back, in which case people seem to have mastered the problem by practice .

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I stop, put left foot on ground and keel over still holding bike. Right foot still on the pedal. I think it's a balance thing
I don’t know about ebikes, but unless you push yourself off the saddle first before stopping you can’t do this on normal bikes either without falling over if the saddle is at the correct height.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was driving into Accy town centre yesterday when i saw a young cyclist (probably in his 20's) fairly pegging it up a hill. As i carefully overtook him i saw it was an e-bike he was riding. Lazy get i thought.:headshake:

Top Bottom