Feeling tired...mistakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dav1d

I was born with a lump on my scalp (this is connected to cycling, patience...:rolleyes:), which was removed when I was 10. I had to keep the lump covered with a hat on sunny days (docs advice) and in my medical notes, it says it was suspected to be either a very unsual CNS hetrotopia or part of a residual encephalocele. It also says "excission appears complete".

However, (don't know if this is connected), I've been getting headaches, pain in the lump area - it is almost always raised, sometimes more than other times, and looks as if it is back after almost 18 years. The pain has actually woke me up on occasions (I have trouble sleeping as it is!), tiredness, and even once forgot where I was and where I was going on a route I have walked plenty of times! Also been feeling unsteady at times, and had to grip things to prevent falling over. I've also been getting what I call dizzy spells for the past 12 years, which actually people have said look like some form of a seizure (Basically, my arms move uncontrollably, often my legs too, and my eyes also move - I don't cycle when I get these and probably shouldn't at all really, but cycling is my freedom:blush:).

Well when the pain is particularly bad, I wobble so much on my bike, careering all over the place and make mistakes that I've stopped cycling in these instances, which is frustrating as I love cycling, but it's the sensible thing to do. Hospital are sending me for an MRI scan which they have already done last year, a few years before that, and before that and so on..., which all showed up no abnormalities, so I don't hold out much hope of getting a diagnosis from that.

jonny jeez said:
Am feeling it a little this week...don't know why, not too much wind around and the weather has stayed fine (despite warnings to the contrary).

But, I noticed today, that I made a lot of really daft mistakes on the ride in...or maybe its better to say I took some daft risks.:sad:

I quality of my riding seems directly proportional to my strength right now.

Too many shameful things to put on video I'm afraid...just take my word for it.

I think I'll take it easy on the way home as I feel like I was trying too hard to make up time ( after I pootled along the flat, open bit's) whenever I met traffic.

maybe its just safer to ride faster (or at your comfortable speed) rather than "trying" to slow it down.

NigC

NigC said:
Must be something in the air :ohmy: I'm feeling rough ATM. The cycle in was fine, but I'm certainly struggling now :sad: I've got the option to take the car home, but with only 4 miles something, I think I'd rather take the bike.

Might have to rethink the plans for tomorrow though as a 90 minute walk is probably pushing my luck somewhat :ohmy:

Well that was weird. That feeling of being rough lasted for just a few hours - thought I was coming down with a cold. Cycling home was a breeze (headwind obviously :smile: ) and now I feel fine today :smile:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
dav1d said:
Well when the pain is particularly bad, I wobble so much on my bike, careering all over the place and make mistakes that I've stopped cycling in these instances, which is frustrating as I love cycling, but it's the sensible thing to do. Hospital are sending me for an MRI scan which they have already done last year, a few years before that, and before that and so on..., which all showed up no abnormalities, so I don't hold out much hope of getting a diagnosis from that.

Hope you find the reason for this David, it sounds pretty frustrating.

bromptonfb said:
i too did something stupid the other day, i rlj-ed unintentionally. lights i have been thru loads, i saw the green light reflection in the side of a large vehicle and instantly set off. felt stupid but was lucky i had no problems. i too put it down to tiredness; and yes too much wind a moment, seems to be a permanent head wind both ways.

I did the opposite (possibly more dangerous) and stopped at a green!

I was sure I had seen green (when some distance away) then I briefly saw orange, didn't notice if it was flashing or not, so stopped. Then looked up to see a big green light beaming down on me.

Could have been rear-ended in a blink....the road is usually really busy, but good job for me it was uncharacteristically empty at that particular time (Catford A21 opposite Lewisham Hospital)

on the RLJ point, I am sure I jumped the lights at camberwell/Peckham bus garage as well. There are a double set (the second seems to be only a filter for the busses to enter the road). I just assumed both lights were timed to change at the same, so went through the first green, then threw a lifesaver to move out to primary for the pinch point ahead (a bend to the lights with roadworks on my side) and am sure i slipped through the second set on red.

Head cam failed so I couldn't even check that...but I'm sure I caught a glimpse of red as I looked back to the front

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I know what you're talking about Jonny. It's very easy to get caught in the trap of impatience and grumpiness when feeling like that. When I've managed to hold back and adopt the moral high ground in this sort of situation (i.e. riding more carefully and avoiding stupid impatience), I feel like a million dollars.

I tried that approach last night on the way home and have to say I found it helped a bit. Although a lot of this may have been down to the lesson's I learnt from my ride in (or at least the awareness of how daft I'd been a few times)

I hung back and took it easy.

I did notice that i still kept up with a few riders on the route who I usually try to keep pace with as we just kept meeting at the lights and congested bits...and hanging back gave me a massive advantage in being able to allow plenty of time to negotiate congestion (as apposed to just being in it as it happened), I often found a much better line and swang past the other guys... to be overtaken by them later on down the road again. I was a proper scalp magnet last night.:smile:

dav1d

jonny jeez said:
Hope you find the reason for this David, it sounds pretty frustrating.

Thanks. I've been having the problems for 12 years now and been going to the doctors for the past 11, but they still haven't found out what's causing it.

Quite good on the bike today but very tired and it's making me get p155ed off.Got a bit frustrated with a ped in Leyton but didn't say anything.

Top Bottom