Feeling unfit and unmotivated? Let's ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's 5 am. I can't sleep, for a variety of complex reasons. Last year I was diagnosed with a FAI of the right hip. I had pinned all my hopes on an operation that might have cured the pain and loss of mobility, but apparently I'm too far gone to benefit from the operation, and too young to have a new hip. I've used all the excuses of the weather, the sloppy trails, the fear of hurting afterwards and I've spent more time building bikes than I have riding them. At the beginning of January I was fatter than I have been in fifteen years, and over the last couple of weeks the old black dog has been scratching at the door. Enough. I need to ride. The hip isn't going to get any better, and if I wait any longer I will never get back to where I was, mentally or physically.
A thread on another forum asking for riders near Wiltshire to ride has inspired this but Iive in West Yorks, so for anyone in Yorks, Derbys, Manchester, Lancs, areas here's my idea.
Do you want to meet up and ride at a level where you don't need to worry about your fitness, your appearance, or your skill levels? If you do, email me. I know a good number of bridleways in Kirklees and Calderdale, (Hudersfield and Halifax to the not so local) but I have GPS, guidebooks and a desire to explore. I want to get back out for easy days and half-days out on real riding, where I don't have to compete or kill myself to keep up, where we can wait at the top for anyone who has to push up, or at the bottom for anyone who feels the need to push down. We can hoon around to our hearts' content or simply enjoy the view and the company. No competitiveness or criticism (although all of that is only ever internal;)
I have a car that can carry up to four/five bikes and passengers, so we can have excursions to the Peaks, Dales,Moors, Lakes, even trail centres.
Anyone up for that? Fat, unfit, unsure, depressive? Old, young, silent, gobshite? Novices, folk returning to biking, old lags ready to share experience? All more than welcome. The idea is to ride, to simply ride without the pressures of feeling others are watching and scoring your performance? To find a bridleway where we can spin along and chat, with a pub or a cafe as a reward. To find a proper challenge, but take whatever time we need to get everyone up, down or through it (it won't all be easy riding!) I get so much out of biking want to help others while I'm mending myself.

lukesdad

Shame I live so far away Cubist, sounds like a cracking offer for anyone local tho'

lukesdad

A couple of years ago i tried to get something off the ground with the Brecon dirty weekend, but after initial interest only 2 turned up. Might be time to try something again, seeing as their is some new blood in this part of the forum, maybe something more central ?

Kies

Cubist ...... Bring your posse to London .. "i'd be daaaarn proud to ride with you good Northern bikers"

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
A couple of years ago i tried to get something off the ground with the Brecon dirty weekend, but after initial interest only 2 turned up. Might be time to try something again, seeing as their is some new blood in this part of the forum, maybe something more central ?
Works for me.... we're spoilt for choice for organic riding in Yorks, but there's no doubt whatsoever that some of my most memorable rides have been in Wales (motorway access means it's just over an hour and a half to 'Degla, a couple of hours and we're in Snowdonia etc ) Brecon will be within a dirty weekend sort of distance, and I have all sorts of camping kit and ready to make one in with that sort of riding on offer.

Peak District might be a good idea for a forum roundup , especially White Peak, slightly less intimidating for novices perhaps?

Motozulu

Über Member
Cubist sorry to hear of your problems mate - as a Staffs dweller I'm sure I could make the journey to your neck of the woods - a spring/summer meet in mind? count me in, work allowing of course :thumbsup:

simon.r

Person
I could be up for something in the Peaks. Gentle pace suits me down to the ground and the only working MTB I have is a single-speed, so I have an excuse for walking up hills!

Keep me informed please.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cubist sorry to hear of your problems mate - as a Staffs dweller I'm sure I could make the journey to your neck of the woods - a spring/summer meet in mind? count me in, work allowing of course :thumbsup:
Yep, a spring meet would be great. I've always wanted to ride Cannock anyway, so we can sort a ride there as well.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
If I can sort transport and you don't mind waiting for me to catch up... would be nice...
Sort out some Cheshire/Derbyshire routes and I'll pick you up on the way. I don't mind travelling to ride!
I could be up for something in the Peaks. Gentle pace suits me down to the ground and the only working MTB I have is a single-speed, so I have an excuse for walking up hills!

Keep me informed please.
Yes, I've been looking at some rides around Chatsworth etc.... fun without the vertical rock chutes.

Or there's Roman lakes..... I keep hearing good things about there.

simon.r

Person
And Cannock's much more doable on a single-speed!

This was taken before a 'More Ears Than Gears' ride (organised through STW) in 2002:

METG 021103 003.jpg

Sort out some Cheshire/Derbyshire routes and I'll pick you up on the way. I don't mind travelling to ride!
you mean I have to actually know the area I live in? :whistle: Not much around here except the Delamere Forest (and a disused converted railway) which is getting rather boring after 6 months of being here (people/pet dodging is anoying me but I suppose it is preferable to hitting them!) Haven't been over to Llangollen yet - want to touch up my mtb skills first!

Know the white peak area much better - having (partially) grown up not far from there and in-laws live over in Oldham so can always cycle over one day/stay overnight and meet up next day. transport issues usually only apply during the week - I don't have access to a car during the week.

Top Bottom