Feeling Unwell Afterwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I usually have one bottle with me in the bottle cage and we often stop somewhere
I'd take two bottles.
Sod some folks' ideas of "rules" or thinking it clever to use one of the bottle cages for tools/gels or whatever.
I can recommend this:
https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/zef...VmMx3Ch12HADDEAQYBCABEgLk9PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can also of course put energy powder/maltodextrin in the water, along with a zero tab or whatever for electrolytes.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've certainly had 'flu like symptoms after long bike rides. Over time as I got fitter it doesn't seem to happen any more.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Possibly an electrolyte issue. As you sweat, you release these in your sweat. This often manifests in a flu like symptom. Get it checked out. Meanwhile try an electrolyte drink.

Alcohol is a diuretic. If the OP is suffering from dehydration, alcohol clearly isn't the best way to resolve
mm - I think that's a common myth/exaggeration of basic biology.
A pint of beer is still a pint of beer - a pint of liquid.
You may as well say water is a diuretic.
(I have found that drinking water often results in a toilet stop down the line, even when sweating a fair bit)
A fair amount of my rides are semi fuelled by beer.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
mm - I think that's a common myth/exaggeration of basic biology.
A pint of beer is still a pint of beer - a pint of liquid.
You may as well say water is a diuretic.
(I have found that drinking water often results in a toilet stop down the line, even when sweating a fair bit)
A fair amount of my rides are semi fuelled by beer.
Agreed and recently demonstrated by those 2 Doctor brothers on TV.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Consider potential allergic reactions from deeply inhailing all sorts of airbourne stuff while out..

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi there

Has anyone ever experienced feelings of general unwell after cycling? Sometimes, after cycling for a few hours I feel quite unwell almost like cold/flu symptoms and feeling really washed out and tired for a few days. I would consider myself reasonably fit and can cycle without being out of breath, etc.
Could it be the effects of a 'chill'? Do you get sweaty hot why cycling and then when you stop/get home quickly get cold?
I seem quite susceptible and so have to regulate my temperature well when cycling or keep nice and toasty when I stop. I don't get it too much nowadays because am alert to it. But it can make you feel a bit schitt for a few hours after a ride.
I can also get it when working in factory going constantly from a hot humid environment to a cold dry one all day long. feel done-in afterwards.

Globalti

Legendary Member
OP, try weighing yourself before and after a ride. You'll be amazed at the weight loss, which is water. Do you get constipated the day after riding? That's because the body borrows water from the large bowel as a first resort. There is about 10 litres of it involved in the digestive cycle at any time.

boydj

Legendary Member
I usually have one bottle with me in the bottle cage and we often stop somewhere

I've arrived home a couple of times feeling queasy, generally unwell and unable to eat. It usually wears off in 20 to 30 minutes, once I've had a good drink. Looking back this has happened when I've either not drunk all my water, not taken enough with me, and/or failed to have a cafe stop. If you are out for three hours, then a couple of bottles would be a minimum.

Top Bottom