fell off my bike:(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
The scratches and cuts will soon heal and you will be left with a nice story to tell of your initiation into cycling. You'll be fine now. Bikes are a lot more predictable than horses :tongue:.

battered

Guru
Ooops. Glad you aren't really hurt. As Nietzsche said "That which does not destroy us makes us strong". Mind you, he was completely bonkers so I'd disregard that.

We ahve indeed all been there, my last off was caused by a lace caught in the pedal, I stopped at the lights and couldn't get my foot dowm. Thud. Big audience.

You can get your wheel trued easily enough, it's not too costly.

buggi

Bird Saviour
lets cheer Sarah up and tell her all the times we have had embarrassing moments...

i had a clipless moment at the traffic lights and couldn't get my foot out. splat in the road in front of a white van man :sad:

had a fall in France last year, not a funny one but ... the doctor was worth it B)

Rebel Ian

Was it Eddy Merckx that said "there are only two types of cyclist - those who have fallen off or those about to"?!!

My tip would be to go and do the same road again.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Sarah there are only two types of cyclst. Those who have crashed and those who are about to crash. I crashed in the middle of Richmond (N.Yorks) town centre in full Neon Pink Lycra a good few years back). Place was full of tourists and I swear every single one of them saw me!

Pick your self up SP and move on. A while back I went down a steep back road (-14%) which takes a sharp (90deg) left turn at the bottom only to find a WVM coming towards me 1/4 of the way into my lane. It was a little greasy and I lost it too. The bike was only 5wks old, it was going for its first service. IMC WVM disappeared as fast as they could but the following drivers were excellent, I've put it down to moved on and that bike has subsequently done plus 10,000miles.

Rabbitthekitten

I once hit a curb and snapped my wrist in half. I had to have an operation and was told I could possibly lose my hand. But it was ok in the end. :-D Although it messed up my GCSE's as it was just before them. I didn't go on a bike for ten years after that. :tongue:

Rebel Ian

User3143 said:
Eh? It's not like that and please don't group every single cyclist in the world at the moment into 'two types'.

The point, lee, is that anyone who has cycled for any length of time or distance has almost certainly fallen off at some stage. It's part of cycling so the young lady shouldn't feel bad about it.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

hey thanks much for all the replies:biggrin: all the stories have other peoples accidents have certainly made me feel less alone,so thanks. i went for a ride on my dads bike well my old one and that was okay, when I pick my bike up hopefully tomorrow will just be more careful and practise my braking skills.hey at least my face wasnt scratched just look like some pscyho cat has got to my arms:tongue:

shippers

My favorite falls are usually when I'm knackered and forget to unclip my feet. Just keeling over in front of motorists is always worth a laugh.

Buckling your back wheel cycling into shrubbery is impressive though!

shippers said:
My favorite falls are usually when I'm knackered and forget to unclip my feet. Just keeling over in front of motorists is always worth a laugh.
That reminds of that ride where they go Mt Ventoux 3 times in a day by 3 different passes. By the time folk get to the top there knackered and the slightest bit of wind just blows them over. I shouldn't laugh :tongue: but :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hope the bike and you are fine quickly and you get plenty of enjoyable adventures before the end of the summer and it's all forgotten about very quickly :tongue:.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Well, you can now stop worrying about the first scratch on your bike....

Also practice emergency stops. You should apply both brakes, but move your weight so that your bum is hanging over the back of the seat. This puts more load on the back wheels, and means that both brakes can put in a reasonable amount of stopping. Someone advised me to do this once every journey, so if you need to, it is instinctive.

Had a couple of accidents in the first few months after I got my first new bike since I left home. You wonder if you aren't jinxed!!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Oh dear, do we have to?

Numerous crashes as a kid.

Moderately big crash when I was 19. Doing about 25-30mph downhill between two lanes of slow-moving traffic (I was young and foolish), the inevitable happened and one of them swapped lanes, I went over the bonnet.

Clipless moment in front of rush-hour commuters, and just in case anyone hadn't noticed it, a police car came alongside and put its blue lights on as I was laying on my side still trying to unclip.

And flipped my trike twice. Ooops.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
BrumJim said:
Also practice emergency stops. You should apply both brakes, but move your weight so that your bum is hanging over the back of the seat. This puts more load on the back wheels, and means that both brakes can put in a reasonable amount of stopping. Someone advised me to do this once every journey, so if you need to, it is instinctive.

Monkey See, Monkey Do!:ohmy:

Top Bottom