fell off my bike:(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maizie

Veteran
BrumJim said:
Well, you can now stop worrying about the first scratch on your bike....
This will be my terror! It's always great when the first dink is done and you can stop worrying about keeing things pristine.

Sarahpink, I know you have got your first road bike...I pick my first road bike up on Saturday. I did have a test ride, the most noticeable thing to me was how wobbly I was setting off - it needs a bit more balance than my fat-wheeled old MTB. So I am pretty sure I wil be joining you in the falling off club very soon...

rh100

Years ago, I was giving my dad's old MTB some stick in an area where I shouldn't have been on the bike, then spotted the speed bump just ahead, panicked and slammed on the front brake, sailed over the bars and landed on my backside I think. Loads of people were around, totally embarrassed I got up and walked off like nothing happened, felt really daft.

postman

Legendary Member
Put it down to battle scars .

On Saturday i was posing for a photo next to a statue outside York Minster .

When i got tangled up and fell over the bike, bike went down scratched the brake hood .So now it's got it's first scratch .I was ok .

Bloody photo never came out either .My mate took a picture of the sky by mistake .

No photo ,but scratched me bike .Numpty !!!!

Matthames

Über Member
In my younger days I was in a bit of a hurry to get to the newsagents to start my paper round. On my way there, there was a path that was not really in the best of conditions and because the path was downhill I was going pretty quick. I then hit a pothole that was on the path causing my front wheel to stop dead. This caused me then to fly over the handlebars. As a result of the landing the skin on the palm of my hand came off and I had gravel rash on my knees.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Unlucky, try not to let it put you off!

Have a rest then get on your bike, ive had a couple incidents, each time back on the bike same or next day, in one instance, i got knocked of by a car turning into my path 30 miles into my 1st 50 mile ride, rubbed myself down, carried on.

You will maybe feel a bit vulnerable for the 1st few miles but after that its like it never even happened.

At least the driver was nice about things. Ive had both nice drivers and tw*ts in relation to incidents with cars, be glad you got a nice one ;)

navrat_biker

all i can say is it happens to the best of us. Scars on elbows, now when i come off it no longer hurts as think the nerve endings no longer respond!

Mistygoth

I fell off recently too, have only been cycling since March. Was riding down the TPT, so pretty flat and not tricky at all and I waved, and crashed!

I went left skidding into bushes and grass, ended up tangled in my bike with the peak of my helmet pushed down and wedge in my nose. I was convinced i'd broken my nose and in typical girly style I screamed like I was being murdered (as it was very early on in the day and I didn't know if my cycling partner had realised I'd come off) plus it hurt like hell.

I got untangled, dusted the mud off me and fixed my bike (as I broke my cycle computer wires and twisted the handlebars and twisted the seat) and inspected the damage. I hadn't broken my nose, just bashed it, my helmet was intact apart from some mud and my left knee was pretty sore but bruised and not grazed. So we continued on the ride, gradually my knee hurt more and more, so much that when I had to walk through the little cycle gate things, it was agony.

Turns out i'd damaged it big time, it bruised, swelled up and I couldn't walk properly for a week. After a doctors appointment on friday they sent me to A&E where i got it xrayed and am now walking about with a very long tubular bandage on my leg and a hospital appointment on friday to see if the swelling has gone down. So a week and a half later i'm fed up, can't cycle, go to the gym or do anything and i've just got my new gel cycle shorts to wear too:sad:

So don't worry about falling off, i'm sure i'll do it again, i just hope not as bad this time (worst thing is i'm going on a walking holiday next week!!)

mark barker

When I started riding a recumbent I had a few "offs".... Well actually I had a lot of offs! I couldn't get the bike started without a serious wobble, and almost everytime I dropped it there would be a witness or 3!

shippers

Did the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride a couple of weeks back, and I (along with the group of about 12 I was with at the time) saw a kid (14 yrs?) reach for his water bottle, but hit his head on the handlebars and ride into the hedge.

His mum didn't stop!

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

Maizie said:
This will be my terror! It's always great when the first dink is done and you can stop worrying about keeing things pristine.

Sarahpink, I know you have got your first road bike...I pick my first road bike up on Saturday. I did have a test ride, the most noticeable thing to me was how wobbly I was setting off - it needs a bit more balance than my fat-wheeled old MTB. So I am pretty sure I wil be joining you in the falling off club very soon...

yes i was so wobbly at first but did adjust pretty quickly:smile:

oh dear found out yesterday I need a new back wheel:sad: thought something like that as it did land on fairly awkward position and think i must have gone into the side of the landrover but surprisingly their was no scarcthes on my bike frame here was me thinking cycling was a cheap hobby once you had the bike:laugh: hopefully getting it back tomorrow, so itching to get back into it. been out walking today and hate it, can't wait to go pick it up.

I've recently managed to have what must have looked like a classic clipless moment - just didn't get my foot down onto the verge right and misjudged that balance of the bike with fairly full panniers and ended up head first in a ditchfullofnettles. On a bike with bog standard flat pedals. Twice!

I also had to dive for a hedge once on a twisty lane with oncoming traffic at night when my front light died at EXACTLY the wrong moment. It was a bit thorny...

Scariest moment on a bike was when there was a ping-clunk of a brake cable snapping on my (shockingly undermaintained) student bike, as I was going down the hill from the uni campus in Lancaster to Galgate village. Never got home so quickly in all my time there!

Then there was the time that I was racing the traffic-light-controlled blind corner junction at the bottom of the Very_Big_Hill, in France. Made it through the light on green - just - but completey stuffed up the corner and clipped the curb and exploded the front tube rather impressively. Fortunately I was cycling home from the pub with a couple of convenient Dutch people, one of whom slung my bike over his shoulder and cycled off into the distance, and the other of whom gave me a 'croggy' the three or four miles back to the campsite where I was living. And when I woke up in the morning and looked out of my tent door my bike was standing there, with a new tube and a trued wheel, having been fixed by a different benevolent dutch camper.

A fair accumulation of mildly embarassing 'I'm a dimwit!' moments, all in all.

Hope the bumps and bruises go quickly, and that you get the bike back very soon!

User10119 said:
Scariest moment on a bike was when there was a ping-clunk of a brake cable snapping on my (shockingly undermaintained) student bike, as I was going down the hill from the uni campus in Lancaster to Galgate village. Never got home so quickly in all my time there!

Flipping heck - I keep having visions of brake cables snapping on that hill, fortunately it's never happened (so far), but that sounds scary as hell!!! ;)

It was not my finest ever moment on a bike! There may well have been rather a lot less soles on my shoes by the time I stopped due to emergency braking procedures, 6-year-old-in-the-park stylee.

Top Bottom