Felt F95

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Just went for my first proper run out. Just changing bike I'm 1 mph faster on average (although I caught some traffic and red lights) and easily hit 32 mph going down one of the hills without even trying!

The only issue I'm having is getting the gears spot on. Do they need to bed in and loosen up? Everything is lubed but the front feels stiff.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
that colourscheme, black/green is really nice @andyfraser & just had a browse at the Felt bikes on Merlins site.

As I have said before, I have used Merlin lots for parts etc, but this browse just reminded me that it is the single most frustrating website I have ever encountered (when using mobile web on phone) it's so annoyingly jumpy & super sensitive, kicking me out & throwing me to pages I don't want etc.

That said, they are very competitive on price & great to deal with on the phone.

Looked at the F75 & had I not already signed an agreement for a Cube Peloton Race on cyclescheme - I would have gone for this without hesitation.

I do like Felt & lesser seen brands generally & own a 2012 Sintesi Z2 (I don't know of anyone who has one - yet).

Enjoy your new bike.

Phixion

Saw a lady riding one of them in the park last week. They are nice looking bikes - look far more expensive than the price tag.

Philly

I took delivery of a new 2014 Felt F95 this afternoon. This is more a first impressions than a review but I couldn't find a more appropriate forum for this.

The bike is the £365 Merin boxed deal so I had to set up the brakes and gears myself. The groupset is Shimano Sora which seems perfectly fine now I've finally stopped tweaking it (me being anal rather a problem with the bike).

Having spent the last year exclusively riding my Kona Dew Delux the Felt feels very light at 9.8Kg. It has a very light and nimble feel without being twitchy. I was a little worried that the 11-25 cassette would make the hills round here a little on the tough side but I needn't have worried. 34x25 on the Felt is actually easier than 38x32 on the Kona, possible due to the Kona's extra weight.

The stock 23mm tires were actually much more comfortable than I was expecting. I pumped them up nearly to their 120psi max and the ride was still much smoother than expected. I'm sure the carbon fork helps here too. I was planning on getting some 25mm tires tomorrow but I might just go for some more puncture resistant 23s. Advice on this most welcome though.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Felt F95. It looks great and handles superbly. Easily worth the £365 I paid for it.

Before:
View attachment 57601

After:
View attachment 57602
Hi there Andy
I have also just (well a couple of weeks ago) and am not happy!
First I couldn't believe it came with no pedals ... So much so I presumed they'd been lost or stolen ... Even called courier, etc only to be told by bike shop they don't supply pedals
However, that aside I don't have a clue how to sort the gears out and get them working ... Instructions seem only to say how they work not how to assemble
Sounds like you have had no such issues ...
Of course it's possible that I am being useless :smile:
Any advice greatly appreciated
Cheers
Ps - I see you are also in Swindon

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I just looked at some videos on YouTube to get an idea how to set up the gears then just practiced until I got it right. Everyone here was very helpful too. Luckily bikes aren't too complex.

As far as I know no decent road bike comes with pedals unless they're cheap ones put on by the LBS when you buy a bike. Some people already have pedals or want specific pedals and will buy them along with their new bike. I ordered some cheapish pedals with my bike to get me going while I decide whether I want to go clipless (probably) and what system to use.

simo105

Take it to local bike shop! The wheels will need tuning too. I took it lbs and the sorted it out for £20

Philly

Ok guys thanks
I think it's best just i take it to local shop to sort if only around 20 quid mark
Mitchell's cycles is close to me ....

Do wish I'd just ordered the ready made version - hey ho

bikeman66

Ok guys thanks
I think it's best just i take it to local shop to sort if only around 20 quid mark
Mitchell's cycles is close to me ....

Do wish I'd just ordered the ready made version - hey ho
I guess it just depends on whether you're mechanically minded Philly. Took me about an hour to get mine sorted and I have to say that I'm really pleased with it (apart from a couple of minor issues with the trueness of the wheels, which will be sorted out by the local bike shop). A £600 bike down to £365.00 represents a great deal and is only available because it requires a bit of mechanical input upon delivery. For reference, the advert on Merlin Cycles website for the F95 did clearly state that it was supplied without pedals, which as previously stated, is common practice with quality road bikes because most people will prefer to fit their own chosen make and system of pedal. Hope you get the bike sorted soon enough, as it is a fantastic machine.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My son's got the 650c version of the Felt F95 - he's done about 250 miles since July and we've been impressed with it.

His was £440 (reduced from £649) - with a few tweaks it's now close to 8kg which should suit him for racing in the Under 12's category next year.

Top Bottom