Felt like I was flying this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got on my refurbed Giant racer today for the first time in about 5 years for my daily commute.

Steel frame, 700cx25 wheels, drops, STI RSX shifters. About half the weight of my commuter clunker, with its big wheels, fat tyres, mudguards, panniers and lights.

It was ever-so-slightly scary until I got used to the twitchiness, the instant reaction, the speed and the willingness to jump ahead. Then it was like flying.

The long hill up out of the railway station was suddenly a small rise, and I danced up it, hardly touching the pedals. The drop down the other side was a long, gliding sweep, road noise and breathing barely audible. The slightest pressure on the pedals and the bike jumped forward, willing me to swoop and soar, to glide past cars and sail through junctions. I had to make a conscious effort to regain control and obey the rules of the road, to take back the initiative from this thoroughbred that has spent far too long in the cellar.

Yippee!

JamesAC

What sort of mushrooms did you have for breakfast?

Tynan

Veteran
that does sound jolly

ditto to a lesser extent, fixed a stiff link, cleaned and oiled a very very dirty chain, dug out about two feet of elastic cloth from the block, reset the front brakes so the bike can be stopped

rode in LS top and new gillet rather than nightvision, add the usual Monday morning 'I could do this for a living' vigour and a beautiful day and it was a thoroughly enjoyable ride

Maz

Guru
...but wait, who's that in the car behind you? You didn't obey the rules of the road. Now the police are hot on your heels for speeding! They turn on their siren. Siren? That's not a siren...No! That's your alarm clock beeping. Time to wake up!!!

OP
OP
T
No mushroom trip could compare to the sheer silkiness, the sensuous speedy delights of this morning's commute. Give me 538 tubing over psyilocybin any day for real thrills.

It's been in the cellar because I stopped riding triathlons, and started commuting to work in London. More money, less time.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I had that feeling on my way to work on Sunday. Turns out it was a 20mph tailwind. Doh!!

I did get to enjoy a smiley bemused look from a club cyclist out on a training run. He was looking at my 184rpm on fixed down the hill at Leaves Green, LOL!

Tynan

Veteran
yes funny how strong tailwinds have to be before you notice them

and how weak headwinds have to be

gavintc

Guru
Tynan said:
yes funny how strong tailwinds have to be before you notice them

and how weak headwinds have to be

This is so true. My wife cycle out to meet me on my commute last week. I commented that it was such a pleasant evening and there was hardly any wind - lovely cycling. She quickly retorted that her 6 miles had been into a serious headwind while my 10 miles had been significantly wind assisted. :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
sad, if I could fix one thing it's be wind, road surface somewhere behind that, hills wouldn't even get a look in, a headwind is so soul destroying

windy here today, into it with gusto this morning, fingers crossed it'll blow me home tonight, that's been the pattern lately

Top Bottom