Felt like I was run over this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After yesterday’s untrammelled delights, the return to earth this morning, thanks to a black cab.

One cab ahead of me rammed on his brakes and started pulling up on the left cos he spotted a fare. Didn’t indicate, didn’t look. I was too close to him, but traffic conditions on the Euston Road….

I thumped his near-side rear quarter, dropped back and went to overtake him, when another cab drove over my front wheel. I should have waited until he had either completely stopped, or completely moved off.

I was hanging off the door to stay upright as he drove off down the road for ten metres, before coming to a halt. He jumped out and IMMEDIATELY got the badge numbers of 3 other cabbies behind us, before coming over to see what was going on. As he put it later in the discussion “There’s 5 cabbies will say you wos bangin' on all their cabs…”

A lot of bickering and heated discussions about each other’s abilities on the road, mutual responsibilities and so on, before the truth of his above statement sunk in and I realised that life is too short. Anyway, hopefully the dents that I left in his bonnet will cost more than my wheel to fix.

We shook hands eventually, with expressions of mutual respect, admiration for each other’s children, and promises to be more attentive in future.

(It was the folder, btw, not the road bike)

Sheesh!

OP
OP
T
Come on, do I not get some hugs from any of you?

Maz

Guru
Well done, Twenty Inch. Your anger management therapy is working...weren't you kicking off wing mirrors in the past?

"admiration for each other’s children", you say?...don't tell me you were showing each other's family photos from your wallets, were you? :biggrin:

TI, you need to get a helmet camera. This would have been resolved a few seconds after you pointed to the camera.

He was naughty for not indicating and for slamming on his brakes (you do have to expect that cabs will do that though), you were naughty for following to close and banging the back of his taxi, which sounded like a bit of an overreaction (although I wasn't there). However, if the other taxi intentionally drove over your wheel then that is WAY out of order. Did I get this right? You were moving and another taxi drove into your wheel, knocking the bike over and you off?:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
emergency action around a stopped vehicle is obviously dicey because that's likely what the vehicle immediately behind you is likely doing

and banging someone's vehicle on purpose is upping the ante and a bit silly in hindsight

but you come away ok so that's ok

no suggestion the cab hiiting you was deliberate surely?

OP
OP
T
Tynan said:
and banging someone's vehicle on purpose is upping the ante and a bit silly in hindsight

Upping the ante, or letting him know I was there?

The first one was about to crush me against those frickin' barriers that councils put up everywhere, the second one had just driven onto my front wheel.

Tynan

Veteran
ah come on, running into the back of another vehicle is poor, you do admit that in the OP, granted we'd all have done likewise I think

if everyone's stopped, then what's the banging for? granted again that I might have done the same

classic33

Leg End Member
Forget denting the cab, did you hurt your hand when you hit it.
A slap with the flat of the hand makes for more audio impact. Doesn't leave as big a dent though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
Yeah, but then I'd need to wear a helmet (bleagh!)

Not if you wear it on the rubber head strap. Or mounted on the handlebars. I've seen one video where a guy had it mounted on his shoulder, dunno how, maybe on a rucksack strap?

OP
OP
T
Arch said:
Not if you wear it on the rubber head strap. Or mounted on the handlebars. I've seen one video where a guy had it mounted on his shoulder, dunno how, maybe on a rucksack strap?

Not even a hug from Arch, just some well-meaning advice.

Come on guys. A BLACK CAB ran over my WHEEL. I want some TEA AND CAKE! And a nice sit down.

Tynan

Veteran
Twenty Inch said:
Sheesh, thought we were friends here.

start he thread saying you only want unmitigated agreement and sympathy

you're always going to struggle in an argument with black cabs, they're like the bloody mafia, that said I have almost no problems with them but central London is anther world, rarely do it but it crazee compared to the rest of London which is crazy enough

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
In case you didn't know black cabs have to be in working order to be used for work. Heaven forbid you might smash a headlight or indicator lens and the poor fellow not be able to work until it is fixed.

I do not condone this kind of behaviour.

T x

Top Bottom