Felt Z75 Disc - any opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its probably extremely nice, though you'd be daft not to try one first. Wiggle knock out some brilliant deals on Felts, got mine from them barely half price.

Mrs M

Guru
If that fitted me I'd snap it up!
Only 70 quid more than my Sora ladies Felt road bike cost in 2011 :ohmy:
I love my Felt but if you like it you need to try it first :smile:
Good luck :bicycle:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
One of the lads in the club have one, very nice but he swapped the calipers straight away for some TRP. I'm guessing that would be the case with most stock calipers though

OP
OP
T

The doomed

Über Member
Thanks. Good bike for the money. After almost being certain i was going to get the Felt last night, I've another 3 I'm looking at now! - Some with discs, other without

Kajjal

Guru
If you come from mountain biking like I did you will find rim brakes very poor unless you are very light and ride only in the dry.

My first road bike had rim brakes and being 100KG and riding in all weathers the brakes were poor even after upgrading to 105 and swisstop pads. I then got a Specialized Diverge with hydraulic discs and they are really good , very similar to XT disc brakes. It is smooth on road and handles smoother off road fine. A pure road bike like my first one is a little lighter and little faster up hills but I am 100KG not 50KG so it makes no difference to me.

It really depends what you want.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a different discussion altogether. I'm 116kg and get on fine with the rim stoppers on my Felt. Wet or dry they can lock and lift the rear, and they're capable of exceeding the available tyres grip, so any more braking 'power' is superfluous.

I don't know what make the calipers are but visually they look like Tektros. I emailed Felt and asked them what make the brake blocks were. They claimed not to know, but sent me two sets for free.

A disc brake is liable to be more powerful, smoother and quieter, but this is not guaranteed. There are poor disc set ups just the same as there are superb rim set ups, so for me it wouldn't be a deal breaker provided the brakes actually function well.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive tried most MTB sorts over the years, starting with Hope 4 pots in the late 90's. Less experience of road bike discs.

My next roadie in many years is liable to be disc, but I'm not sniffy about it like some folk. If the bike that gives me the biggest boner has rim brakes and they work, then I'm in. I remember well the heady days of yore when you had rubber blocks on chromed rims and essentially lost all braking in the wet and we've come a long way in 40 years.

Discs aren't a bad thing to aspire to and are likely to hit the sweet spot, but that's not guaranteed, not an automatic panacea for all braking ills, any more than a carbon frame automatically makes a rider faster.

Top Bottom