Female driver jailed for 45 days for chasing and mowing down cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A 26-year-old woman was sentenced to 45 days in prison after she pursued a cyclist in her car and then knocked him down. This happened after a verbal altercation between the cyclist and motorist when her car was obstructing the cycle path, which resulted in the cyclist breaking her side-view mirror and riding away.

The woman didn't have a driving licence but was driving an Audi, and is disqualified from learning to drive for three years.

In court she admitted the charges straightaway: had she not done so, the judge would have sentenced her to 90 days in prison.

If your Norwegian is up to scratch, you can read it here: http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/45-dagers-fengsel-for-illsint-sjafor-som-meide-ned-syklist-7220496.html

I can't see this kind of thing happening in the UK for a while, but if it starts to set a precedent here, maybe it will spread abroad.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As I was reading this I was like "woooow this is an awesome sentence for the UK" then I realised it wasn't in the UK :sad:

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
The woman didn't have a driving licence but was driving an Audi, and is disqualified from learning to drive for three years.
We have the same problem with Audi drivers in the UK... oh and BMW drivers, taxi drivers, lorry drivers, Ford drivers, Citreon drivers, Range Rover drivers, young drivers, tall drivers, male drivers, yellow car drivers, bus drivers, train drivers, 3 wheeler drivers, motor-cyclists, Volvo drivers, sheep drovers, deep sea divers, old drivers, Renault drivers female drivers, HP printer drivers........

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
A 26-year-old woman was sentenced to 45 days in prison after she pursued a cyclist in her car and then knocked him down. This happened after a verbal altercation between the cyclist and motorist when her car was obstructing the cycle path, which resulted in the cyclist breaking her side-view mirror and riding away.

In court she admitted the charges straightaway: had she not done so, the judge would have sentenced her to 90 days in prison.

If your Norwegian is up to scratch, you can read it here: http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/45-dagers-fengsel-for-illsint-sjafor-som-meide-ned-syklist-7220496.html

I can't see this kind of thing happening in the UK for a while, but if it starts to set a precedent here, maybe it will spread abroad.
Google website translator
win.jpg

Kookas

Über Member
Rule 1, don't touch their 'precious' car.

Rule 2, see Rule 1

If you do hit their car - and I have done it, and would do it again given the same circumstances - don't put yourself in front of them afterwards. I've heard of too many drivers driving at cyclists who touched their vehicle. They couldn't do that while you're behind them, not without you having a great deal of time to get to safety anyway.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you do hit their car - and I have done it, and would do it again given the same circumstances - don't put yourself in front of them afterwards. I've heard of too many drivers driving at cyclists who touched their vehicle. They couldn't do that while you're behind them, not without you having a great deal of time to get to safety anyway.

Correction: to the side of their vehicle, and briefly. Even then you might find yourself in the bull fighting ring, where you will be begging for street furniture to help save your life.

Best to have a policy in your mind of not touching vehicles, and definitely not damaging them.

Kookas

Über Member
Correction: to the side of their vehicle, and briefly. Even then you might find yourself in the bull fighting ring, where you will be begging for street furniture to help save your life.

Best to have a policy in your mind of not touching vehicles, and definitely not damaging them.

I never said try to damage them. But if they're closing in on me and creating an ever narrower gap in a terrible overtake attempt, then I will hit their car.

Also, if you go to the side, they could drive you off the road just by steering. Safer to stay behind.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I never said try to damage them. But if they're closing in on me and creating an ever narrower gap in a terrible overtake attempt, then I will hit their car.

Also, if you go to the side, they could drive you off the road just by steering. Safer to stay behind.

Ah, misunderstanding both ways. You're right, behind if you're both moving forwards. The OP was referring to a car stopped in the cycle lane, IIRC. Stopped or at low speed, I'd be much safer next to such a vehicle because of reverse gear.

Top Bottom