Feminine job titles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wednesday

[QUOTE 1479324"]
As I said, it disappoints me when gender is dismissed for the sake of equality.
[/quote]

It's not something you have to think about much though, is it? In most cases everyone's happy that men are just people. It's women who are judged because of their gender.

Wednesday

[QUOTE 1479328"]
Please don't start with your own gender prejudice.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I was conscious of that fact that men suffer from gender stereotyping too if that's what it is, and I tried not to suggest that it was never an issue though I admit I wasn't explicit about that so you couldn't be sure.

I'm not suggesting that we never mention gender, just that I'm not comfortable with language that makes it compulsory. Why is it important to know what gender someone is immediately but not what colour their skin is or whether they like cats? Honestly I don't know what you gain from it. Being old or young makes just as much difference as being a man or woman, do you think we lose anything by having to decide if we want to specify someone's age, rather than have it built into a word that describes something else about them?

Oh yeah, on one of your earlier points, no it wouldn't offend me at all if someone referred to me as a man. It would be incorrect, but no more offensive than calling me Chinese.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Why is it important to know what gender someone is immediately but not what colour their skin is or whether they like cats?

Skin pigmentation, race and cat affinity would not influence my response to a proposal on a dating web site as much as gender would.

Wednesday

Skin pigmentation, race and cat affinity would not influence my response to a proposal on a dating web site as much as gender would.

All the dating websites I've seen have included a handy field for gender. I didn't realise there were some where you had to work it out from their job title!

e-rider

crappy member
Spooky coincidence that you should say this. On Saturday we overtook an AA breakdown van on our journey and in that van was an AA lady, not an AA man.

I would not care if it was an AA lady or an AA man that turned up, as long as they could get me on my way again.

I'd prefer a woman if they were attractive!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
[QUOTE 1479324"]
As I said, it disappoints me when gender is dismissed for the sake of equality.
[/quote]

Arriving late at this one...

I suppose I see it differently - I often feel a one size fits all approach is very outmoded when it comes to equality as it fails to take into account the differences ie amongst different ethnicities.

The way I feel about gendered language is different though. I don't feel it's a negative dismissal as such for me and experientially, as people can react differently to men and women on a very subtle level, it just to me comes across as attempting to level the playing field - neutralising it. I actually find it more useful. I think that the terms such as actor and nurse being used across the board is a good thing.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Saw another notice today saying, "Beware, men at work."

Isn't that a blatant piece of sexual discrimination or is men a gender neutral term these days?

benb

Evidence based cyclist

Isn't that a blatant piece of sexual discrimination or is men a gender neutral term these days?

Maybe it was just a warning to avoid crap Australian bands.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Man and it's plural men means mankind collectively as much as it describes a male... something people overlook when they're trying to rename a manhole because it's supposedly sexist.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
On certain forms the term Housewife has been replaced with Homemaker.

Before I returned to work I used to put my occupation as Domestic Goddess if the form was lighthearted/unnofficial or Domestic Mantainance Engineer if it was an official one

Top Bottom