Fence posts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
When I sold my parents' place about four years ago, a few of the concrete fence posts were beginning to spall. They were already there in 1956 when said parents bought the place, so they've lasted reasonably well.

Gillstay

Über Member
You could put new rails across and the upright lats on to them with gaps, or does the fence need to be solid ?

albal

Guru
Thanks for the replies. The development on the other side is currently under construction.

As for the panels ,they may well be pre made going by the doubling up of the rails as seen. I,d guess this would be the cheapest option.?

Tho my colleague ( willing to help me out with installation) who does a bit of his own maintenance, on his rentals,
suggests I go down the route of individual feather edges. As the posts are not all the same width apart.

A lot of nails required at 75 ft.

PK99

Legendary Member
Both bad, I wouldn't put soil up again the post unless told to by the shmbo as the damp soil will rot the post.

I've got Jackson wooden fence posts to one side, put in properly by neighbours contractor 25 years ago. Still solid as the day they went in.

Guy who put in a dozen standard posts for me at about the same time used the wrong technique as shown in above link. ALL rotted after 10/15 years and now have concreted repair stubs.

Jacksons posts are kiln dried then pressure treated with preservative ie penetrates into the heartwood not just the first few mm

Good post +Proper drainage below + shamfered top to concrete fill = long life

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I had some fencing done, learnt a few tips and tricks. But the best idea for removing old post whether wood or concrete, hydraulic leverage from a car jack, spare 4*4" wood post. Create a pivot - bingo

On the back of this I replaced my neighbours old wood fence with concrete posts, concrete barge boards and vertical slat panels. Came out spot on solid, dead level

CXRAndy

Guru
Those panels are the right way round - smooth side outwards (though lots of folk put them the wrong way round nowadays). The fence probably looks continuous from the other side, but I'm guessing, from the extra rails that aren't attached to the posts, that it's in pre-made sections.

Sod that, I had all panels with nice side face inward towards my house. I'm not paying good money to see the horizontal mounting beams.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Sod that, I had all panels with nice side face inward towards my house. I'm not paying good money to see the horizontal mounting beams.

Well-made fences should look good both sides, and the smooth side is more difficult to climb. Also, the rails are what you tie your climbing plants to.

CXRAndy

Guru
Well-made fences should look good both sides, and the smooth side is more difficult to climb. Also, the rails are what you tie your climbing plants to.

Have you seen the prices of fence panels. Prices for double sided are £80 and more per panel. Not to mention significant weight increase. The job installing becomes a two man job straight away. If you're paying someone that is a big expense.
There is a niche market, but every house I've seen with has used single side panels. Maybe in the home counties folk pay.

Gillstay

Über Member
Have you seen the prices of fence panels. Prices for double sided are £80 and more per panel. Not to mention significant weight increase. The job installing becomes a two man job straight away. If you're paying someone that is a big expense.
There is a niche market, but every house I've seen with has used single side panels. Maybe in the home counties folk pay.

I don't think he mentioned double sided ! ^_^

albal

Guru
PXL_20221027_142747869.jpg

I,ll put the good side on here. ! The inside isn't pretty. The stump is on council land. They tried without success to remove it.
Should last a few years.

Top Bottom